I felt the heat rush to my cheeks and I look down.

"Repeat after me: Stanley." Charles said, his lips tugged up at the corners.

"Stanley."

"Good. Say it again."

I chuckled. "Stanley."

"Good. Now, what's my name?"

I smiled at the man, my tongue pushing against my teeth. "Charles."

"Good! See that wasn't so hard. Gimme a hug." Charles said, his arms spread out. I don't hesitate to close the distance between us, I pressed my nose to his shoulder and hugged him tight. Charles was always a touchy feely man, he gave hugs, hand shakes, shoulder pats, hair pats, hair ruffles. In general, I liked it.

"How have you been?" Charles asked once I took several steps back.

"Good. Work and movies keeping me busy." I replied honestly.

"Wonderful. Stanley packed a couple of sauces for you and there are sandwiches too." Charles gestured towards the paper bag on the sofa. I gasped and quickly made my way to it and pulled out three packs of sauces and sandwiches wrapped in cling film. My tummy rumbles just by me looking at the good food.

"No drooling. Get to work, I'll put it in the fridge in the office." Charles said. I pouted a little but he stands his ground.

Charles gave me a shoulder pat as I walk out of the room and into the store. He had already restocked and the only thing I needed to do was stand behind the counter.

I spent the morning scanning and giving change. Like always, there were rude people who didn't even blink at him and there were nice people who said thank you when he hands them their change.

Hal and the jacket was pushed to the back of my mind. Thankfully, the radio was on and music was flitting in. I hummed along, occasionally shimmying in my seat to the song.

Oh she's sweet but a psycho
A beautiful psycho

The store was empty and I was slowly dying of boredom. I nearly jumped out of my seat when someone dropped a book on the table as well as a box of malteasers.

"It's just me. You looked like you needed this." Charles said as grabbed a pack of gum from the small hanger beside the counter.

"Thank you." I told him as I picked up the book. Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan. The large pink font captured my attention and I turned the book over to read the synopsis.

"There's also a movie, if you prefer that."

"I think I'll read the book first." I said as I hold the book. "Thank you."

"I'm going to head home now, Stan needs my help with something but I'll be back by twelve thirty." Charles said and I nod. I had nowhere else to be. "Take your time." Charles smiles at me and gives me a little wave before walking out of the store, leaving me in the company of a good book and music.

I had to drop the book a couple of times to attend to customers but besides that, the book was compelling, witty and incredibly written. I got so carried away by the book that I didn't hear the door swing open nor did I know someone was standing in front of me till the person cleared their throat.

I immediately snapped the book shut, polite smile already on my face and look up.

"How may I h-"

The words die in my throat once I see the man standing there.

It was Hal.

I blinked owlishly at him, my mouth open and closing but no words were coming out. The man had on a white shirt with three buttons undone, grey neatly pressed lacks and shiny shoes, his dark hair styled off his face and brown eyes focused on me.