two

The black jacket was looming over my bed. It's been three days since I got it, a day since the dry cleaners returned it and it had cost a bucket load of money to request the Quick Wash.

I had work today in a few hours. One of the employees had called in sick and Mr. Darlton had asked me to come in. It's seven in the morning and I couldn't get the stranger's face out of my mind.

His name was Hal.

I ran my fingers through my hair and sighed. How do I return this? Do I just keep it? It's not like the man knew who I was. I could even sell it.

It looked expensive.

I had been to scared to check the tag and find out if I've let rain destroy like an expense designer brand. Heart attacks are a thing.

I shook my head and get up from the bed. There's no use thinking about it. I just need to get ready for work and think about the free food Mr. Darlton has promised me.

After a quick shower, I pulled on a pair of washed blue jeans and a shortsleeved baby blue shirt, I tried to brush my hair but it kept going whichever way so I donned on my beanie.

Breakfast consisted of Cocoa Pops and milk. Should I take that to work and drop it off at the Janvier building during my lunch break? Maybe I could hand it to the receptionist and she'd take it up. She wouldn't even let me in, I don't look like someone that belonged there any way.

I had passed the Janvier building one time and got a little intimidated. I saw all the right pencil skirts, neatly pressed socks, their ID cards glinting in the sun, styled hair, shiny shoes and this confidence that they all stemmed to have.

I dumped my plates in the sink and grabbed my bag, making sure my phone and wallet was in there. I walked to the store, humming the spongebob theme song. The sound had been stuck in my head since I opened my eyes this morning.

The bus stop was filled with people sitting and standing. I didn't live in the best neighborhood nor did I really know my neighbors, so to be on the safe side and avoid awkward conversations, I stayed a bit to the side and jumped forward when the bus pulled up.

It was when I was seated that I realized I hadn't taken the jacket.

I'll take it as a sign from the lord, I told myself with a small smile. The bus wasn't quiet and there was a woman holding a crying baby at the back, people talking and someone's music coming through the tiny speaker of their earphones. Normally it'd seem like the drive from my stop to work went by in the blink of an eye but today it was dreadfully slow.

Maybe it's because I was not used to coming out on Thursdays, I wasn't used to the bus being this full. I didn't have music to listen to and the spongebob theme song was still dancing around in my head. I rest my head against the window and began to count the number of white cars I saw.

I was almost at fifty when I got to my final stop. The walk from the stop to the store was short and filled with me sighing. I wasn't working my normal hours today, just a short 9 to 1 and I'd be back home watching my movie and munching on whatever I can get from the store. I still had that truffle in the fridge.

Mr. Stanley Darlton wasn't at the store today. Instead I found Charles, Mr. Darlton's husband. Charles was a tall man with salt and pepper hair that was cut low and a neatly trimmed beard. He was what Agatha called a perfect Daddy.

I remember cringing at those words because The Darltons were like a family to me and you can't imagine your dad as .... ewww. It's such a very disturbing image.

"Good morning, Mr. Darlton." I said as I drop off my bag and tie on my apron.

"When my husband told me you still call him Mr. Darlton, I didn't believe it." Charles said with a shaky of his head.