† Chp. XLIII †

Chapter soundtrack: 'Hero' by Ruelle, as suggested by thefangirlofhp.

= cue music

† Chp. XLIII †

 XLIII †

___

"There, a true esquire of Rohan." Eowyn remarks with a confident admire, looking down upon Merry and the large helmet she placed upon his head.

The army of Rohirrim have settled their camp upon the summits of Dunharrow, resting on the crevice within the mountain as they prepare for the battle which brews amongst the plains of Gondor. Theoden's men anxiously await the coming of dawn, as war lies upon the horizon, however Eowyn and Merry carry a fire in their hearts which burns with a desire to fight alongside their friends, and to aid the prevail of good.

"I'm ready!" The halfling emphasises, forcefully grabbing his dagger from it's hault and mistakingly swinging the blade towards Eowyn. The lady of Rohan jumps back in fright, raising her palms with a light chuckle.

"Sorry. It isn't all that dangerous." Merry apologises, observing the metal of his dagger. "It's not even sharp."

"Well that's no good, you won't kill many orcs with a blunt blade! Come on." Eowyn states, placing a hand on the halfling's shoulder and directing him outside the tent. Merry steps into the night, swiping his dagger through the chilled air as armour clads his small body.

"To the smithy, go!" Eowyn encourages with a light cheer, beaming as the hobbit dashes away.

From aside the fire, Eomer raises his gaze to watch the halfling sprint away.

"You should not encourage him." He retorts, before biting into a cooked piece of meat.

"You should not doubt him." Eowyn responds. The young lady has always shown great compassion towards those who others seem to disregard, a main reason as to why she grew such a strong bond with Eretria.

"I do not doubt his heart, only the reach of his arm."

Gamling subtly laughs at Eomer's comment, turning his head to view the fire. Eowyn looks down upon her brother with furrowed brows, the light of the moon illuminating her gleaming locks.

"Why should Merry be left behind? He has as much cause to go to war as you." The lady of Rohan protests, before straightening her gaze. A thin haze begins to form within her eyes, and her tone becomes rather soft, yet emotion lies heavy within her words. "Why can he not fight for those he loves?"