The Office

Regina is the mayor and Emma is her secretary. kinda sorta based off Jim and Pam from the office

//////

I smiled at Regina as she walked into her office. Then I looked back at my computer seeing her fiancé, Robin, come in. "Morning Swan." He said in his stupid accent. I nodded, ignoring him as he walked into her office. "Oh. Robin. What are you doing here?" I heard her ask and I sighed hearing her muffled gasp as he obviously kissed her. Then the door was kicked shut and I dropped my head into my hands. What a wonderful morning.

——

"Emma?" Regina asked softly and I looked up at her. She smiled at me. "Wanna grab lunch?" She asked and I nodded. I put the phone on automatic voicemail and got up. She smiled at me and we left together. "You've been quiet today. Everything okay?" She asked and I nodded. "Yeah I just.. you know. Rough day." I said and she frowned. "What's going on?" She asked and I sighed. "I just.. um.. you know.. this girls been asking me out and I just.. i don't know." I mumbled and she glanced at me. "What? Shouldn't that be good?" She asked and I shrugged. "I don't know. I've had these feelings for this other woman but she's.. off the table and I just.. don't know what to do." I said and she hummed. "Well What makes her off the table? Is she married?" She asked and I sighed. "She's engaged." I said and she shrugged as we went down the stairs. "So? If you really like her, you should go after her." She said and I shrugged. "Yeah maybe. We'll see." I mumbled and she smiled. "So what's she like??" She asked and I sighed. "She's like.. perfect. She has the prettiest hazel eyes with these little flecks of gold and when the light shines on them the right way, they just... sparkle. I never found brown eyes interesting until I met her. And I just... totally fell in love with her eyes." I said and she hummed. "Well damn Swan. I'm honored to have brown eyes." She said and I felt my heart break. She'll never be mine. "So. Sushi for lunch?" She asked and I cleared my throat. "Yeah. Sure."

——

I read the text over and over again, not being able to fully understand it.
Emma, You don't have to come in this week. I'm closing the office while I take a brief vacation. Robin and I have decided to go our separate ways so I am taking the week off. I'll see you when I get back.
-Regina.
I bit my lip and decided to text her back.
I'm sorry about you and robin. Do you wanna talk about it?? I get it if you don't. I just know it probably doesn't help to be alone.
I sent and went back to eating my breakfast. Sure, I'm upset. I love regina and I want her to be happy. Wait. I love her? Well, of course I do. She's my best friend. But.. no. She's my best friend. My phone vibrated and I opened the message.
Actually, that sounds good. Why don't you go on my trip with me? I'm going to Hawaii. I want warm. This stupid cold air is making me miserable. I'll buy your ticket. Come to my house. The flight leaves in 4 hours. Pack and come over.
I smiled seeing the text and got up to pack my things. I packed quickly because I wanted to see her. I wanted to make sure she was okay but she avoided my question about talking. When I was packed with everything I could need in a week in Hawaii, I left my apartment. I got in my car and drove to her house. I parked beside her fancy Mercedes and got out, grabbing my bag. I locked the car before going to her front door. I rang the bell and bit my lip as I waited. The door opened and Regina smiled at me. "Hey Swan. I just got your ticket. Come in." She said, grabbing my hand and pulling me in. I chuckled as she shut the door behind me. "Well i was gonna buy my own ticket. But thanks." I said and she hummed. "Well I am the one who invited you. So I'm paying." She said and pulled me upstairs. I bit my lip as we went to her bedroom and she closed the door after us. There are clothes all over half of her bed. "Sit down. I'm not doing well with packing." She said and I chuckled. "We're only going for a week. Let's talk it through. Hawaii. So bikinis? Shorts? Tank tops?" I asked and she smiled. "Yes. But if you didn't tell, I have a lot of clothes." She said and I chuckled softly. "Just pick your favorites." I said and she smiled. Then I realized I'd never seen her in anything other than her fancy pantsuits and dresses and skirts. Except for that one time she wore her fancy designer jeans to work. "Thanks Emma. Who else would go with their crazy bitchy boss on a trip after a breakup just because they were asked to? I don't deserve you Em." She said softly and I smiled. "You're not crazy and bitchy. Maybe a little crazy. But it doesn't bother me. You're my best friend. Of course I'll go with you. Anytime you need someone, I'm here." I said and she smiled as I sat down on her bed. She went back to packing and I smiled.

"Okay Swan. Let's go." She said, grabbing her bag. I smiled and nodded, standing up. I grabbed my bag before leaving the room with her and we went downstairs. This could be good. I can just be friends with her. It'll be okay. As long as she's in my life, I'll be fine.