Carlota Lukumi

Carlota Lukumi (aka. La Negra Carlota)was an African slave woman who lived in the 1800's. She was from the Yoruba tribe (their territory is in what is now Nigeria & Benin) & was captured by white slave traders when she was just a child. Carlota was taken to Matanzas, Cuba, where she was sold as a slave to the sugarcane plantation, Triumvarato. Conditions on these plantations were brutal, comparable to the cotton plantations in the southern USA. Carlota's strong spirit didn't break in these dark times; she was also musically-gifted & highly intelligent. In 1843, Carlota & another female slave, Fermina, plotted a slave rebellion. When their plot was uncovered, Fermina was badly beaten & sent to prison. In order to free her, along with many others, Carlota employed the use of talking drums, as a form of code. When the Spanish heard the drums they likely though it was some sort of ritual, not a form of communication. Using the talking drums, Carlota organized a slave uprising, in which she and other slaves freed Fermina & dozens of others.

The uprising officially began on November 5, 1843 & mostly targeted large sugar plantations, using guerilla war tactics. It also turned to some cattle & coffee plantations. These skirmishes carried on for a year until Carlota was captured by Spanish landowners, then tortured & executed.

Carlota's uprising inspired many others to lead revolts against their European owners, to fight for their freedom & independence.

https://badassladiesofhistory.wordpress.com/2014/07/04/carlota-lukumi/