Teresa Magbanua

Born Teresa Ferraris Magbanua, on October 13, 1868, in Pototan, Iloilo, Panay Island, Philippines. She was the 2nd of 6 children. Her father was Don Juan Magbanua, who was a judge, from nearby Iloilo City. Her mother, Dona Alejandra Ferraris, was the daughter of Captain Benito Ferraris. Teresa studied education at the Colegio de San Jose, in Jaro, Iloilo. She later moved to Manila where she attended the Colegio de Dona Cecilia, where she received her teaching certificate & later a master's from the University of Santo Tomas.

After finishing her studies, Teresa returned to Pototan, where she began her career as a schoolteacher. Some time later she met & married, Alejandro Balderas, a wealthy landowner from Sara, Iloilo. Some time after, the Philippine Revolution began in 1896, but the state of Iloilo didn't immediately join the cause. It wasn't until 1898, when a local group of revolutionaries pledged their loyalty to the national cause, that Iloilo joined the war. Teresa fought in her first battle at Barrio Yating, Pilar, Capiz.

When the Philippine-American War broke out in 1899, Teresa along with 2 of her brothers became generals of the revolutionary forces, this was opposed by both her husband and other local military leaders. Throughout the course of the Philippine-American War (1899-1902), Teresa participated in a series of battles against the Americans. Bit by bit the revolutionaries managed to take back the whole island of Panay. In December 1899, Teresa headed a victory procession, astride a white horse, into the town of Jaro.

Though not a military leader or other active fighter during WW2, Teresa still did her part to resist the Japanese occupation. She sold her personal belongings to buy food for guerillas in the region. Shortly after WW2 began, Teresa's husband, Alejandro Balderas, died & Teresa sold the couple's home, to help further finance the guerilla forces.

After WW2 ended in 1945, Teresa moved to Pagadian, Zamboanga, to live with her sisters. Teresa never remarried and never had children. She died sometime in August 1947, her funeral & burial was a small private affair, attended only by close family & friends. Teresa's legacy of courage & determination earned her the nickname of "Visayan Joan of Arc". Unfortunately, it is hard to find anything but traces of her inspirational legacy but her story is no less deserving of being heard.

https://pvao.gov.ph/pvao-gad-updates/teresa-ferraris-magbanua/

https://kahimyang.com/kauswagan/articles/683/today-in-philippine-history-october-13-1868-teresa-magbanua-was-born-in-pototan-iloilo