Chapter 2

Chapter Two

Many took the marriage alliance as an omen. Some of good fortune to come, but the older, wiser ones took it as a sign of black days coming forth. The death of a respected lord and an engagement in the same month seemed to provide a dark, suspicious hand to grasp their hearts. What joy could come from a marriage that was secured on the death date of the man's father? Some formerly supporting the match began to speak out against it, but it was too late. The lady was sent for. She would arrive by the sea and the blue caravan trail with in 2 months.

Nonetheless, the leis and flowers were ordered, the seamstresses sewed, the silks were drawn out and hung in preparation for the lady's arrival. Then finally, on a hot summer afternoon, he was seated on his ceremonial mahogany wood chair, the cushion he sat on trimmed in gold silk threaded fabric decorated with flowers and clouds styled by his native artisans, waiting for the blue caravan. He was arrayed in the traditional royal blue and gold clothing to greet a potential bride. She, of course, would be arrayed in white and silver as was customary. He could almost guess what her gown, jewels and other adornments would look like before she arrived.

She wasn't supposed to retain anything from her previous life to greet him. All of it was to be sent for and stored in her rooms, not to be worn or even looked at until after their marriage. The cicadas chirped, the occasional cough was heard, the impatient whisper of a child who had been forced to sit too long seemed to echo in the silence.

His long hair flowed about his shoulders and made his neck sweaty as he waited patiently with his counselors and members of his court. His long sleeved tunic was becoming incredibly hot, the dark colors attracting the heat, rather than deflecting it. He clenched and unclenched his hands. Outside the gates he could hear the impatient murmur of the peasant classes. He did his best not to squirm or even move at all as the minutes, that seemed like hours, ticked by. Finally, after he was ready to call the court back in, and tell his "advisers" where they could stick the ceremony, a distant cheering was heard which steadily became louder and closer. Then after a few more minutes, the gates opened. The richly adorned blue caravan rolled in, the horses gleaming with perspiration and breathing heavily from weariness. They came to a stop in front of the blue rug that was laid out down the middle of the path which was lined with potted plants, bursting with white and gold blossoms.

After the small puffs of dust cleared, the footman swung down from the back with a step stool made of Lebanon wood, and opened the door. A small, delicate foot preceded the rest of a white and silver clad, small figure, who finally, upon descending the caravan coach, looked up with well taught poise and posture upon the assembly. She exhumed an air of importance and in fact, snobbish-ness, that immediately, made him dislike her. It was too much like some of his counselors, too much like a world he did not enjoy. But he held his composure and tried to focus on the delicate, painted face. Her lips were full and painted blood red (as was custom), her eyes were a rich, ebony wood brown, and her hair was black as obsidian. All the marks of a great beauty were present, save the air of over-importance that turned him off. She walked with a grace and dignity familiar in many of the ladies of the court. In short, she was beautiful but wholly uninteresting in his opinion. She was also, in his opinion, too old for him, and it showed. She was very young looking, but her lines were matured. Not still softened with youth. He really did not find this to be too much of a problem, had the air of her personage not been so, self-absorbed.

As she made her way up the blue carpet, she eyed everyone about her with that air in which made distaste flow in his veins. When she reached him she curtsyed and then stood, perfectly posed in front of him as a man rushed forward, the ambassador from her court, and his own who had promoted the match took her sides.

"May we present her ladyship Kay-Lin. First born daughter of his lordship Tramen, son of Lai-chi and ruler of the lands Rosala," they chanted in unison.

She made another perfect curtsy and held out a hand where a heavily adorned, and chunky ring set with a blue stone in the middle lay on her hand. Of course, they had to provide her with an engagement ring as a promise. Could they have not picked a more delicate setting than this thing? He stood, and bowed, taking her hand, and kissing it politely.

When he straightened he spoke nonchalantly, "I welcome you Kay-Lin. My home is yours." He swept a hand to his residence behind him.

She smiled, a small smile reserved for practiced situations and awkward ones, "I did not expect one so young to be so handsome and... developed," It was said in a sultry voice, meant to cause the reaction it did among his people and her own. He alone had to resist the urge to recoil. The crowd whispered and giggled among themselves in a sheer sense of embarrassment felt when being complimented or hit on by the most eligible person in town. His counselors snickered in an approved way.

He on the other hand returned the smile she gave him, and said, "I did not expect you to be so beautiful,... and mature." He did his best to make it seem like a compliment. To everyone but the Regent, it sounded like such. His regent was no fool. He knew what the last part of that comment really meant. He felt the Regent eyes boring into his back as he held out his arm to her, the smile still planted on his face, and turned.

He exchanged glances with the Regent, and led her into the main hall of the house. A banquet had been prepared. He knew he would have to continue to suffer through this night, and probably every night for now on in such a way, for the rest of his life, or at least until this woman became infertile. A part of him felt wicked for thinking such a thing, but he couldn't help but let that bitterness invade his thoughts. If she didn't act as if she was so unworthy of her company in his eyes, and so involved with herself, he would venture to attempt to like her. He knew in the logical part of his mind, he had to at least try to enjoy her physical attributes, else when the time came when he had to bed her and sire heirs, he would never be able to. His counselors thought he was completely ignorant of such things. But he was not, while he had never been with a woman himself, he had seen plenty of the people about him carrying on their love affairs with out realizing he did notice it, and seen on occasion what you did.

Most his age would blush at such a thought, but he didn't. Instead it filled him with dread and the horrible desire to request for the presence of his mother. If she had been here, this ridiculous match would never have taken place. His mother may have argued for a younger sibling from the same family, but never have agreed on this one. Yet she was gone. Gone to the lands in the south, where the Simili people were held at bay by her people. The white-skinned Simili and their strong ships. Another thing he had to worry about now. They were a people of the sea. They seemed to come from all corners of it. From the White Sea to the Autumn Oceans. However, they seemed to raid the villages and towns in the south the most, The Great Turtle Lakes. His beautiful mother.... The thought of her did bring a genuine smile to lips, albeit a sad one.