The Fourth Champion

Natsu sat there, aware that every head in the Great Hall had turned to look at him. He was stunned. He felt numb. He was surely dreaming. He had not heard correctly.

There was no applause. A buzzing, as though of angry bees, was starting to fill the Hall; some students were standing up to get a better look at Natsu as he sat, frozen, in his seat. Up at the top table, Professor Connell had got to his feet and swept past Gem Gemini and Professor Karkaroff to whisper urgently to Master Makarov, who bent his ear toward her, frowning slightly. Natsu turned to Gray and Lucy; beyond them, he saw the long Gryffindor table all watching him, openmouthed.

"I didn't put my name in," Natsu said blankly. "You know I didn't."

Both of them stared just as blankly back.

At the top table, Master Makarov had straightened up, nodding to Professor Connell.

"Natsu Dragneel!" he called again. "Natsu! Up here, if you please!"

"Go on," Lucy whispered, giving Natsu a slight push.

Natsu got to his feet, trod on the hem of his robes, and stumbled slightly. He set off up the gap between the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff tables. It felt like an immensely long walk; the top table didn't seem to be getting any nearer at all, and he could feel hundreds and hundreds of eyes upon him, as though each were a searchlight. The buzzing grew louder and louder. After what seemed like an hour, he was right in front of Master Makarov, feeling the stares of all the teachers upon him.

"Well... through the door, Natsu," said Master Makarov. He wasn't smiling. Natsu moved off along the teachers' table. Gildarts was seated right at the end. He did not wink at Natsu, or wave, or give any of his usual signs of greeting. He looked completely astonished and stared at Natsu as he passed like everyone else.

Natsu went through the door out of the Great Hall and found himself in a smaller room, lined with paintings of witches and wizards. A handsome fire was roaring in the fireplace opposite him. The faces in the portraits turned to look at him as he entered. He saw a wizened witch flit out of the frame of her picture and into the one next to it, which contained a wizard with a walrus mustache. The wizened witch started whispering in his ear.

Dan Straight, Simon Mikazuchi, and Mary Hughes were grouped around the fire. They looked strangely impressive, silhouetted against the flames. Straight, hunched up and brooding, was leaning against the mantelpiece, slightly apart from the other two. Simon was standing with his hands behind his back, staring into the fire. Mary Hughes looked around when Natsu walked in and threw back her sheet of short, purple hair.

"What is it?" she said. "Do zey want us back in ze Hall?"

She thought he had come to deliver a message. Natsu didn't know how to explain what had just happened. He just stood there, looking at the three champions. It struck him how very tall all of them were.

There was a sound of scurrying feet behind him, and Gem Gemini entered the room. He took Natsu by the arm and led him forward.

"Extraordinary!" he muttered, squeezing Natsu's arm.

"Absolutely extraordinary! Gentlemen... lady," he added, approaching the fireside and addressing the other three. "May I introduce - incredible though it may seem - the fourth Triwizard champion?"

Dan Straight straightened up. His surly face darkened as he surveyed Natsu. Simon looked nonplussed. He looked from Gemini to Natsu and back again as though sure he must have misheard what Gemini had said.

Mary Hughes, however, tossed her hair, smiling, and said, "Oh, vairy funny joke, Meester Gemini."

"Joke?" Gemini repeated, bewildered. "No, no, not at all! Natsu's name just came out of the Goblet of Fire!"