2. Demolition Lovers

Start from the beginning

"Yep. Third date this weekend."

Gabriel landed a jab to Cole's shoulder. There was nothing he liked more than busting his best friend's balls. "I'm just now hearing about this? Hell, three dates with the same girl means you're almost engaged."

"Hilarious," Cole deadpanned, his expression exacting. "I figured you already knew since the school work program has your sister assigned to help Ellie."

"No. Lately, Sil and I don't talk much. Ever since the Adam incident, she's avoided me." Cole always gave him shit about Silbie, but it was easy for Cole to chastise him for acting like her parent rather than her brother when he never had to raise his own sisters.

"You can't father her through life." Gabriel's expression told him to let it go. Cole held up his hands in mock surrender. "Anyway. Speaking of dating. How long has it been since you had one?"

"Don't know. I don't keep score." Total lie. He knew exactly. Too damn long. Shit, he was almost a monk. But the number Rosie did on him caused him to lose faith in dating. "I thought Ellie was dating the guy from Biloxi."

"Was, but you know what they say about long distance relationships. They never work."

Amen to that. When Gabriel had left college to take care of his sister after his mom lost her job, Rosie fell in with the wrong crowd. He'd always felt guilty about that. Like his leaving caused it.

Cole's voice brought him back to the present. "If you don't get serious about finding a woman, you may have to settle for Bea Bennett. Too bad she doesn't have a daughter. You could get a little club sandwich action going." Cole wiggled his brows, then leaned his head back and laughed.

Gabriel was tempted to hit him again, this time harder, but resisted. Better to guide the conversation back to Cole's love life. "A few minutes ago, you were worried about me getting a date, now you've jacked it up to a threesome. I think you're a bit too optimistic about my romance skills. Concentrate on your own orgies."

Gabriel thought of the ring sitting in the back of his desk drawer. He should have gotten rid of it, but didn't. Someday, he'd have it melted down. He cleared his throat. "Anyway, you two sound perfect for each other."

"How you figure that?"

"She's a crafter, and with all those birdhouses you build for the bird watch club, you're a DIY type. You could end up with your own TV show. Get dubbed with one of those cutesy star couple names like Bennifer or Brangelina. You could go by Elole or Greele. That's... not the worst."

Cole knit his brows together. "This is the reason I don't tell you shit. You think— damn, look at that."

Lights flashed into Gabriel's peripheral vision from Holly Hills Estates already decorated for Christmas. "This neighborhood starts the season earlier every year. Not even Thanksgiving yet. With all those green lights, it kind of looks like a place the Grinch would live."

"Yeah, rich Grinch. But hey, I say burn baby burn. The more kilowatts they use, the more secure our jobs. Sure you don't want to reconsider Bennett? Look at her house. I bet she's got ten thousand bulbs on that place. A big old mansion for one woman sure seems like a waste. Lounging in her hot tub sounds a helluva lot better than hot sticking a line."

Gabriel gave the truck more gas. The sooner he was past her neighborhood, the quicker Cole would drop the subject. Bennett was a nice-ish woman, and Cole was right. For her age, she looked pretty damn good, but she was nearly the same age as his mom. He turned onto County Road 68. "The pole is just around the next curve."

Cole jerked forward and stared out the windshield. "Fuck, what the hell was that?"

"Looks like an accident." Gabriel gave the truck some gas and sped ahead. Swinging to the side of the road, he shifted into neutral, set the brake and flipped on the hazard lights, then threw the door open, and sprinted away, yelling over his shoulder. "Call 911 and put out the cones! I'll see if anyone's hurt!"