Chapter Thirty-Seven

EVANGELINE:

have you done it yet?

Malcolm looks down at the text message on Lola's phone in confusion. Done what? it was 2am and they had landed in LA not 3 hours ago. Lola had passed out almost immediately upon reaching her penthouse apartment, but Malcolm, who had slept on the plane was wide awake. He hesitates. It was probably nothing. Or was it? Anxiety and curiosity got the best of him and and he slid the message to the side in order to reply. 

LOLA: 

done what?  

EVANGELINE:

....broken up with Malcolm?

The phone slips from Malcolm's hand, smacking the tile floor with a deafening 'CLUNK.' Lola starts to stir in her sleep. Malcolm hastily reaches down to grab the phone, only to hit his head on the corner of the wall upon standing. 

'shit! fuck!' He grabs his head, rubbing where it hurts. Lola sits up in the bed, hair messy and eyes glazed with sleep. 

'Malcolm?' She asks, rubbing the sleep form her eyes. 'What are you doing?' Malcolm looks wearily from the phone in his hand to his exhausted girlfriend. His eyes were sad, even in the dark Lola could tell. 

'What's wrong? why are you awake?' she asks, having yet to spot the phone in his hand.

'you were- you were going to break up with me?' his voice was weak. 

'I--' 

'Evie texted and asked if you had 'done it yet.' How-how.. long have you been planning to break up with me!?' He demands.

'You went through my phone?' 

'Lola that's not the fucking point. How long?' His voice grew more incensed by the second.  

'.....Malcolm I'm sorry.' tears began to swell up in her eyes and she wraps her arms around her knees, hugging them to her shaking chest.

Malcolm looks at her astonished. 'I'm sorry?...  that's all you have to say!?' His mind was racing thinking off all the things he could have done wrong. Desperately hoping she would say something, anything. She doesn't. 

'I-I fucking love you! and the only explanation i get is i'm sorry? not good enough.'  He's crying now, but trying to hide it by smudging distressed tears from under his eyes away with shaky fingers.

'I don't know what to say..' She whispers ashamedly. fresh tears falling freely down rosy cheeks. This wasn't how it was supposed to go. 

'Why?' He pleads. Hopelessly searching for answers as he sits down on the edge of the bed, clutching her cold hands in his.  'Tell me why and I'll fix it. I promise. anything.' His voice breaks.

'There's nothing to fix.' She murmurs, unable to make eye contact with the teary eyed boy. 'I'm just not as in love with you as i should be.' 

'What?' he flinches away from her. In that moment he felt his heart break. This was really it.

'Malcolm I'm sorry, I-' she calls as he stands from the bed, stumbling backwards. 

'No, don't. Nothing you say could make this hurt less! I thought we were in love.' He speaks the last part mainly to himself in utter anguish. 

'We are In love!' She tries to fix the gaping wound with a band-aid. 

'But you're just not as in love with me as you should be.' he spits her words back in her face. 

'I'm sorry.' She says for the millionth time. 

'I'm going to go.....It over.' He picks up his jacket off the floor and trudges out of her apartment. Head hung low.

A\N: oh my lord thanks for 10k reads! also David will be in the next chapter i promise