Chapter Seven - Christmas Extravaganza

Start from the beginning

Mrs. Weasley resided in the kitchen, running around like a mouse trying to make sure everyone was satisfied. Harry, still watching Hermione with happiness, suddenly began to laugh softly.

"What?" Hermione and Ron said in unison, with Hermione looking up from her book momentarily, and Ron still stuffing his face with pastries and cakes.

"Ron, I'm not sure why our dear friend Hermione can't consume a beverage without it ending up on her face," Harry said with a sincere smile. Hermione groaned indignantly and wiped the cream off of the top of her lip once again. Harry's heart lit up as she said, "This has always happened to me, ever since I was a little girl," her cheeks turned a bright red and she changed the subject. "Percy won't be joining us, Ron?"

Ron clenched his fists angrily, putting the vacuuming of his deserts on hiatus. "No. Why do you care so much?" His voice was cold. Clearly, Hermione and Ron were still very fragile, and Harry had hoped (despite his feelings towards Hermione) that this skirmish would end soon because he couldn't stand being the middleman anymore. He was only curious: if Ron and Hermione became close again, would her feelings for him return? It didn't appear like Ron and Lavender would end this soon enough, so wouldn't she just be hurting herself more?

Hermione looked down, hiding her expression of sadness and embarrassment. She picked up her cup or eggnog and slurped loudly in attempts to distract herself, but soon realized that it was unlikely. She looked up, her eyes appearing slightly glossy but far from crying.

"Excuse me," Hermione said quickly, standing up and not walking back into the kitchen for more food, but trudging up the creaky wooden steps and slamming the bathroom door behind her.

"Come on, Ron. Seriously, man?" Harry said angrily. "Now you're just being ridiculous."

"Butt out, Harry. I don't know why your so concerned anyway." Ron said gruffly.

"Because you two are my best friends! Is it wrong that I want us all to be close again?" Harry raised his voice.

Ron still avoided eye contact with Harry. "Yeah, just keep telling yourself that. We're all best friends," he mocked. "I see that way you look at her, Harry. I'm not stupid. Your dream was about her, you took her to Slughorn's Christmas party because you love her. Can't imagine why you'd want us all to be three peas in a pod again. You can keep her, Harry. I'm giving you permission to do whatever you want with her. Hermione doubted me, and doesn't approve of me, and I don't need her negativity in my life. Take her if you want her,"

Harry was truly appalled by Ron's words, but was overall seething with rage. "Don't talk about her like that-"

"It wasn't even my idea to have her come! It was Ginny's.. and you know what Harry? It's kind of amazing how you can go from my sister to my ex best friend in less than point two seconds. I guess The Chosen One really does get everything he wants." Ron breathed.

Harry itched with anger and his ears were ringing with fury, but he attempted to shrug it off.

     "Just so you're aware, Ron, I don't need your permission." Before he had to urge to tackle Ron to the floor, Harry got up from the couch, and followed Hermione's previous actions up the stairs. He stopped when he got to the second floor. The door to the bathroom was halfway open, and Harry was trying to decide whether or not he should go in or observe from the outside. He didn't hear anything, and was relieved to know that she wasn't crying.