begin again

SOMETIMES FAMILY IS
WHAT YOU MAKE, NOT
WHAT YOU WERE BORN
INTO.

People thirst for knowledge, they always have and they always will — one of the simple facts of life, a reason behind how cultures have evolved into the society we share today

People thirst for knowledge, they always have and they always will — one of the simple facts of life, a reason behind how cultures have evolved into the society we share today. Without knowledge, human kind would have never evolved past the people who feared fire and had rudimentary use of their hands. But, knowledge is not everything it appears to be. People strive to be intelligent (however, some scientists will argue that no matter what, intelligence is something a person is born with), to understand and know a lot about the world around them. To see things for what they are, no matter what time of the year it was. But, intelligence was not knowledge, so many people are misguided when it comes to their thirst for knowledge. Plenty of intelligent people are not knowledgeable — perhaps in one or two things, but overall they may lack an entire worlds worth of ideas. Some people have knowledge that can take them far, farther than most, but wouldn't be considered the most intelligent person in the room. Yet, both kinds of people are burdened with one thing. A mind that understands too much about the world. A mind full of thoughts that can never be shut off — like a toddler who's stringing together their sentences for the first time.

Knowledge came with insight into how the world works, what must be done to make something happen. It's exhausting, knowing something about the world around you. Being forced into understanding the little intricate details that people often overlooked.

Spencer Reid was no stranger to those intricate details — he found solace in them more often than not, he needed and relied on these details. The patterns in nature that never changed unless something bad was about to happen or maybe his reliance on the repetitive nature of mathematics — Spencer Reid knew the ins and outs of most things in this world. He was the most knowledgeable person most people knew (and he was one of the ones that ticked off the box for the most intelligent too) (a two for one special, it appeared). Yet, even the most knowledgeable of people lose bits and pieces of themselves on their quest for more knowledge. See, Spencer Reid would argue to say he was never fully whole to begin with. Not until he met her. The one who opened his eyes to everything poetry and books had ever said — the one who made him realize that knowledge and intelligence were great, but there were other things more important to life. Things like love, something you can't just fill a void with knowledge and hope that wanting will go away. No, once you get a taste of it, you only begin to want more and more.

He had it right there in his hands and he lost it — there was no other way for him to describe it, he had her and he let her fall right from his fingers. Spencer Reid was a man of many mistakes, one full of regret for things he couldn't begin to explain. But his biggest one was letting Ryder Hotchner (the only woman who ever understood him in the way he wished people would) go.