Chapter Seventeen

Over the next couple of weeks, Joe and Dianne settled more into their new normal.

They were having fun, and everything was so much more relaxed. They had worked hard on the dancefloor, and now it was time to pack their bags and head to Blackpool.

"Hey, do you have my yellow hoodie?" Joe asked. He was in his wardrobe packing, Dianne was in his bedroom. They had been spending more and more time together and she had basically been living in his apartment for the last few days. They were rehearsing in a studio just down the road and both of them had convinced themselves that it would save time. Well, if anyone asked, that was their excuse.

"No, I think you left it on the chair downstairs. Do you want me to see if I can find it?"

Dianne left the room to go and find his hoodie. Joe sat back on his knees, trying to work out exactly what else he needed to pack. He was nervous. Blackpool had always been his goal. His nan would be coming to watch with most of his family, and he was going to introduce them all to Dianne. It was going to be a big night.

"Got it!" Dianne appeared in the doorway, holding his hoodie. "It was exactly where I said."

Joe took it and folded it. "OK. I think I've got everything. Can you double check for me?"

Dianne opened her phone and ran down the list they had written in their last rehearsal. "Tops for rehearsing, trousers for rehearsing, underwear and socks, clothes to travel down in, shower stuff, razor, deodorant, nice clothes for the after party."

Joe nodded and closed his case. "That's everything. Have you got what you need, Di?"

Dianne nodded. "And the kitchen sink. You know what I'm like. I packed three outfits for the one night we were in Bath. I basically just tipped my entire closet into my suitcase."

Joe smiled. "OK. Shall we head off then?"

They reached his front door. Dianne put down her bags and, with her eyes, encouraged Joe to do the same. She leaned in and kissed him softly.

She rested her forehead against his cheek and spoke softly. "I can't believe we're here. I can't believe we've got to Blackpool."

Joe smiled. "Well, we're not bloody there yet. Come on, we've got a train to catch."

Dianne laughed softly and followed Joe out of the door.

///

"Guys, there's a little Italian place just down the road. I think a few of us are going to go and grab some food. Do either of you want to join us?"

The journey to Blackpool was a long one, and Joe and Dianne had arrived at the hotel to find a lot of the other contestants already waiting in the lobby. It was early for dinner, but everyone was starving.

Dianne opened her mouth to agree, but Joe jumped in. "I think I'm alright, actually Kev. I might need a nap before I think about eating anything."

"Ok, no worries. We'll see you later."

"Have a good night!"

Joe went up to reception and got the keys for his and Dianne's rooms. They walked to the elevator and Dianne waited for the doors to close before turning to face him.

"Not hungry? Your belly has been rumbling for the last hour. What was that about?"

Joe smiled. "I just want to chill out. I was going to suggest we order some room service. Watch a movie? Relax before tomorrow. I'm nervous, and I want to spend time with you."

Dianne smiled. "Sounds good to me. But maybe we should actually get out of the hotel for a bit? Even just to take a walk. After being on that train for hours, I need to move. The last thing I want is to seize up before we even start dancing."