Chapter Five

It was 3am. Dianne was due to be at work in five hours.

Hours of tossing and turning had done her no favors and she had come to the realization that she probably wasn't going to be sleeping tonight.

Sleep had not been her friend for most of the last week; most nights had ended pretty much the same way- a very tired and angry Dianne attempting to close her eyes only to be confronted with worries and concerns about every aspect of her life. And every morning, she rose extra early to make sure she looked happy and awake when she facetimed with Emelia.

The extra time awake had given her one thing, though. Dianne had relented and had begun watching some of Joe's videos. She didn't want him to know how much of a weirdo she had been, but he was really funny and she enjoyed the stuff he made.

All she hoped was that her lack of sleep, and her trying to maintain her professionalism, wasn't making Joe feel uncomfortable. On camera, he seemed much more open and outgoing than he had been in the dance studio.

///

Joe arrived home after their final Jive rehearsal, threw off his shoes and jacket and collapsed into the sofa cushions.

"You ok, bud?" Byron asked, approaching him with a glass of water in hand.

Joe took the drink. "Yeah mate. Knackered. And... yeah, maybe I'm just tired. But I feel like Dianne has been acting really weird."

"Weird how?" Bryon asked sitting down next to Joe.

"I don't know mate. It's hard to explain. But. Right, remember at my party? She was a right laugh and she joined in and she was... happy, I guess. But she's been really quiet and I think it might be my fault."

Byron shook his head. "Why would it be your fault? It could be anything. She was drunk at your party so maybe she's just like that sober. Or maybe it's PMS or something."

Joe shrugged. "Maybe. But I just worry that I've upset her. I don't know her very well; maybe I've said something and it's made her upset."

Byron placed a friendly hand on Joe's shoulder. "Well, I think you should ask her."

///

When her phone rang, Dianne was surprised to see Joe's name flash up on her screen.

"Hey, Joe. Everything okay?" She asked, continuing to pace around her room and get ready for bed.

Joe settled back onto his pillow. "Yeah, I'm all good. I... I don't know if I'm being weird or overstepping a boundary or anything but I just wanted to check if everything is ok with you."

Joe paused and heard Dianne take a deep but shaky breath.

"It's just" he continued, "it's just that I noticed you looked a bit upset and, well, tired and I just wanted to apologize if I've done something to upset you or..."

"No". Dianne cut him off. "God, please don't think it's your fault. I... I haven't been sleeping well and I guess I've just been crabby. But it's not you. You're great. Fantastic."

Joe felt relieved but was still worried about his partner.

"If there is something else going on" Joe continued, "or if you need someone to talk to or to listen to you, I'm here. I know we've only known each other a few weeks but I care about you. You're so lovely and you're an amazing teacher and... well. I just wanted you to know that I'm here."

"Thank you. I... that means a lot." Dianne replied quietly.

"Sorry if I disturbed you" Joe said, "I know it's late. And we have got to be at the studios tomorrow."