I prepared for the worse, waiting for the feeling of my head being separated from my torso. But it never came I opened my eyes to see the blade in front of my face just barely an inch away. I looked past it to see the woman struggling to pry the little faceless girl and a young Tengu off of her.

"Calm down Kukiko please he's a guardsman, he's a guardsman!" the little girl screech as she tugged at the woman's side. Hayato currently had his arm around her midsection and was flapping his wings violently in an attempt to pull her back.

"Yes. Please stop Miss Kukiko, Kenshin is a guardsman here! I'm a stable boy so I can vouch for him, so please leave him be!" Hayato said as he was struggling to hold her back.

After a long moment, the blue-haired woman calmed down and stopped her pursuit. Hayato let go and collapsed on the ground exhausted in his efforts. The woman letting go of her spear reached down and gently pried the little girl's grip from her side and hugged her thoroughly.

"What did you think you were doing breaking out of your room and sneaking off here of all places huh?''

"I-I-I..." the little girl stutter nervously. "I'm sorry," she cried burying her face into the woman's kimono. "I won't run away again I swear" she cried again. They held each other for a long time until the blue-haired woman ended the embrace to go and retrieve her spear. As she gave me a passing glance as she went past me, her cold blue eyes were filled with obvious disgust and hatred.

I stared right back at her. If you have something to say just say it I though.

Picking up her spear she faced me once more. "Why would the lord of this land ever allow a Kitsune to be working as a guardsman?"

I remained silent. She had one of those vibes to where she has already decided who you were despite not even knowing you so there wasn't any use in trying to defend myself. But my silence just made her all the angrier.

"You won't answer huh? Well, I can already imagine all the schemes that the lord here will use you for but just know that I'm watching you Kitsu..."

"Kukiko!" the little girl cried. "Can we please go back now". The woman harsh gaze softened as she took the little girls hand and started leading her out of the stables but she turned back again with a glare to rival medusa's.

"If you ever come near the princess Kitsune I will kill you". And like that they left, leaving a tired Tengu and a cut-up Kitsune by themselves.

I stood up and started making my way towards Hayato. Blood was still running down my arms and face staining my clothes, at least it will add a splash of color to them. Thankfully none of them were really deep but were just enough to draw blood, nothing a couple of bandages could fix. But the only reason I was alive right now was because of him and the little girl had kept her from running me through.

"Hayato," I said shaking the little Tengu's shoulder who was now sprawled across the floor breathing heavily. He looked up and smiled.

"Hiya Kenshin," he replied. "Lucky I was here for you right," he said getting up and puffing out his chest proudly.

"Yes, I guess I owe you now," I said scuffling his hair, the little Tengu beamed at me proudly. Over the past couple days, Hayato was always around me, he was always asking me questions and getting me to tell him stories despite Ken'Ichi telling him not to be involved with me.

Ken'Ichi still didn't trust me that much and seemed very protective over Hayato, they had that sort of big brother little brother relationship despite him being a half-Oni and Hayato a Tengu. He had gone as to so far as to threaten me on my first day here so I tried to avoid Hayato as best as I could.