Ava laughed. "What does that make me?"

"A beautiful rose with thorns. Fuzzy ones."

"So, what about when James is in a good mood?"

"I'd say..." Yvonne hummed in thought. "A knife with a fuzzy pink handle."

A light smile graced Rayan's stressed expression. "Wouldn't a knife be more dangerous than a thornbush?"

"You clearly have never stepped into a thornbush by accident in Odaport." Yvonne tapped her wristpad. "I'll catch you two later, I've got to go meet up with Katie for our date." With a click of her tongue, she hopped off the bleachers and left Ava with Rayan.

"Rayan?"

He took the previously occupied seat and tapped his foot against the back alcove of the next row. "Hm?"

"What's going on between you and James?"

Rayan sighed. "I wish I knew myself... and that I knew how to tell you." He groaned with a scoff. "I wouldn't even know where to start. I promised I wouldn't say anything to you."

Ava frowned, then nodded. "I understand. Is he okay? I know you two haven't... been hanging out recently."

"I think he's okay. Stubborn, but okay."

Ava sat in the silence as Jon grabbed his bag and waved them down. Ava returned the gesture, but it hollowed out her bones. "Over the summer, what sort of things will we do in Odaport?" she asked, longing for the bubble of peace to mend.

"Well, I want to take you solar surfing — the salt flats are perfect for it, and you have to see them at night." He motioned with his hands. "I'll show you around the Sanctum district of Odaport." Excitement glittered through the molten golds. "Oh! I'll show you the elevator!"

Curious, she leaned forward to hear more of her first adventure. "The elevator?"

"When I was younger, I thought I could touch the celestial heavens from it," he explained. "It goes high into the Sanctum tower. You can see the entirety of Odaport, all the way to the casinos in Irenu." He folded his arms. "If you're interested, we could go see the Starcross tournament. I know you're not a fan of it, but I think it'd be interesting to see the differences between the pro leagues and school varsity matches." He hesitated. "If James decides to come, I'll take you both to the nature parks. I know he'd enjoy it."

"Great!" Ava smiled. "You're getting me excited already."

"Good." Rayan got off the bleachers. "I should get home."

"Ray."

"Yes?"

"Has your mom left yet?"

Rayan shook his head. "No, she assured me that during the summer is when she will have to leave. We have to make sure I'll have everything I need for the next school term and a way to contact her in case I need help. Otherwise, I'll be on my own."

"You won't," Ava reminded him. "You'll have your friends, James, and me."

Rayan sucked in his lips. "Yeah."

Ava got up as he hopped down the aisle. He disappeared onto the sidewalk which led all the way to his house, and she took the same route James took to get home. Nature sang around her and bounced across her thoughts. Time to herself, she wandered through the park. Kids giggled and played in the jungle gym. Ava stopped on the edge of childhood where faint memories spun around her.

Back when Dad used to smile so much more.

Each time he left, she took it upon herself to smile when he stopped, to turn to James and declare he'd return to them.