04|Midnight chaos

[Midnight chaos]

Brenda G

Silence floated in the room. Sydney had finally managed to grasp some sleep after getting her first aid on the painful cut she received.

Her birthday had turned into her worst nightmare after receiving a deep cut on her forehead. The cut resulted from a glass bottle which was smashed on her head by her sister, Harriet.

The reason for the attack was that Sydney was getting so close to Harriet's boyfriend, a drama that I didn't gather so many details on. 

With the help of Sydney's friends, we took care of the situation and we let her take a rest.

Upon glancing at my phone watch, my eyes nearly bulged from shock. It was fifteen minutes to midnight.

"If Midnight finds you out, just find a place to stay!" My mother's words danced in my head.

"I think her nanny will take care of the rest, we should be heading home," Cara, one of Sydney's friends whispered.

She read my mind.

She was slightly shorter, probably 5'0 in height. She had dirty blonde hair which was professionally crocheted. Her almond-sized eyes were emerald green in colour, the same colour as that of the dress she was wearing that evening. Her chubby cheeks indented to form a hollow dimple whenever she smiled. She was gorgeous in all aspects.

"Yes. So Brenda, how far is your place?" June, the other girl asked. Unlike Cara, June had neck-length dark blue hair. Her cerulean eyes matched the colour of her hair. She had pink pouty lips and a small chin, a slim nose with a short pointed tip. She was slightly taller than Cara, with a slim figure like that of a supermodel.

"Just a few blocks from this place," I replied while getting up from the chaise lounge. "We should leave," I added while heading for the door and they followed close behind.

We crept out of Sydney's room so as not to disrupt the peace of the night and hopefully not to wake her parents.

As we trudged down the fleet of marble stairs, the rest of the guests who had not left were curiously staring at us. June went to them to assure them that everything was fine. For Cara and I, we just walked past them, unbothered by their presence. I led the way as Cara followed close behind. She was engrossed in her phone.

"I wasn't in my right senses okay!" A girl suddenly yelled from outside. "I was drunk."

"You see, drunkenness. Have I not warned you time and again to abstain from alcohol? Look at what drinking got you! You harmed your sister!" A male voice scolded and definitely it was Harriet being scolded.

I had halted to eavesdrop on them. She was standing with a boy who was supposedly her boyfriend and after a good look, I realized it was the mystery boy who saved me from the pool.

He was clad in the cap that hid his eyes but chances were, he could see a lot with those hooded eyes.

"Don't yell at me, okay," Harriet pouted then leaned closer to kiss him but he stepped away.

"With what you have done yelling is too mild!" He hurled back and then began walking off but halted when he saw us.

Suddenly, Cara stormed towards the unsuspecting Harriet and gave her an echoing slap on the cheek. Before she could add another slap, Harriet hid behind the mystery boy to protect herself from Cara's assaults.

"You," Cara screamed while yanking the frightened girl by her shoulder. "You have the guts to stand here and engage in PDA while your sister is hurt all because of you?"