9. Too Late?

One doesn't recognize the really important moments in one's life until it's too late. - Agatha Christie

"Chloe and Stephen are getting married tomorrow."

Kate words resounded in Nicks mind like thunder.

"No," he whispered stumbling back.

"Nicholas, you are late," William said, "she left for Arundel in the morning with Miss. Bennet."

"She can't do this. I know what I want, Will, I want her, please tell me you are lying," Nick said his voice breaking.

 "Nicholas, get a hold of yourself," Oliver said reprimanding.

"Wait! What is going on?" Seb asked.

He was falling down the endless dark abyss without the light at the end, that's what was going on. He couldn't comprehend why did this happen after coming so close. Nicholas can't help but curse himself for being responsible for breaking his own heart. His mind went to the night he realized he loved her, what if he would have gone to her that night? Or the time when he found her with tear-stained face in the hallway? What if? The tears in his eyes brought everyone else to their knees.

"Who amongst you knew about this?" Lady Faith asked in her most authoritative tone bending over to her youngest son crouched on the floor, his eyes watering.

"I had my suspicion," Oliver said.

Lady Faith looked over from Oliver to Hannah, Sarah, Seb all of them nodding no whereas Kat was looking at William.

"Kat!" Lady Faith said.

"William told me," Kat whispered.

"I saw them coming back from the southern stream disheveled, both of them with grief-stricken faces. I kept a watch. I warned him too. When he didn't do anything...," William explained.

"For the love of God, William," Lady Faith bellowed, "How can you be so cold and indifferent for your own brother?"

"Mother, I am not. I love him more than Seb,"  William said pouring a glass of brandy," The carriage is waiting outside to take him to Arundel." 

"I want to break something on your head, Will," Kat said exasperatedly.  

On hearing William's words, Nicholas stood up with renewed energy. There was still time all was not lost yet. The wedding was tomorrow, there was still time to fight for what he wants or right now run for it. If he left right now he can reach even before the wedding starts and he was bloody ready to fight with everything for her. 

"Another scandal, this time we kidnap someone else's bride!" Seb said excitedly.

"I hope you ordered for more than one carriage, William," Hannah said.

They were on the road to Arundel after Lady Faith ordered Sarah to not leave with them and Seb stayed back reluctantly whining about missing the adventure. After series of argument, it was decided William with rest will attend the Prince's ball whereas Hannah and Kat will accompany Nick to Somerset in case he fails to persuade Chloe and Oliver to keep everything in control especially Hannah and Kat.

Cramped in the carriage with bated breath second felt like decades and every moment filled Nick with fear. Ever talking Kat was also silent which increased the dread in him by manyfold.

"We will be there on time," Hannah said breaking the silence.

"Will we be going to Gretna Green from there?" Kat asked hopefully.

"If she says yes," Nick said nervously.

"I must say you are the luckiest one Nick, you have us as a witness," Kat said.