7. Sacrifices

"I guess that's just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up." - Lauren Oliver 

"So what do you think about her?" Sarah asked.

"I like her. She is beautiful, kind, and real unlike all those artificial ladies of the ton. I think she is ideal for Nick," Hannah said.

 "William has warned Nicholas, not to dilly dally but to think about marrying her," Kat said.  

They looked up at Chloe to say something.

"She is an admirable lady. She will be the perfect daughter in law for Kentshires. Her family is rich and titled with an excellent reputation," Chloe said her mind still fuzzy with the meeting in a parlor.

"That is so diplomatic Chloe," Sarah said whining.

"Oh bother not! If she is really kind and good for Nick she will end up being one of us else there will be no harm done," Kat said.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Hannah asked unsure about their upcoming plan.

"Yes!" Sarah and Kat said.

"Fine then. You all know what to do," Hannah said.

"Let us bring another rake to his knees," Sarah said excitedly.

Sarah and Kat's plan to leg-shackle Nick was dreadful for Chloe not only because she was in love with him but also because the woman everyone was trying to matchmake with Nick was Chloe's old friend who once loved her like a sister and then hated her like poison. 

Miss Rihannon Bennet!

She stepped into the parlor to see Rihannon looking at her with a smug smile.

"Hello, Charlotte! We meet again after so long. Won't you greet your friend?"

She felt fear, disbelief, and happiness all at once to see her old friend after so long. She always admired Rhiannon even after she vowed to destroy Chloe's life. Rhiannon hatred for Chloe was reasonable.

"Rhia!"

"It is my Lady for you," Rhiannon said icily.

"Of course, my lady," Chloe said as her heart sank into her stomach, "I am so happy to see you after so long. How are you?"

"Living a life a lady ought to," Rhiannon said smugly, " which of course a governess could only dream of."

Chloe stood there speechless wondering how the most kind and jolly woman turned into an ice princess. 

"Anyway, I just wanted to see how a woman who destroyed lives of so many people still hold her head high?" 

"Rhia! Won't you ever try to understand my predicament?" Chloe asked defeated.

"Without shame and regret, of course," Rhiannon said ignoring Chloe completely, " I will be staying in the Kentshire manor till the end of the season, hopefully, end up being Lady of Carlise."

Chloe was distressed with the animosity that Rhiannon carried for her. She feared she might be the reason for Rhiannon icy disposition. She wanted to beg for forgiveness so badly it almost made her cry.

She decided the only way to earn Rhia's forgiveness was to help her achieve what she wants and that was Nicholas' heart. She realized her penance will end after one last sacrifice, help the man she loves fall in love with someone else.

The next day Rhiannon and Nicholas were to take a walk in the park with Chloe as a chaperone. After formal greetings, Chloe stayed behind the couple as they walked through the gardens talking about their childhood. In spite of trying to block out their voices, Chloe couldn't help but hear Nick telling his childhood stories.