thirty-eight: dancin' with myself

Start from the beginning

"Dancin' with myself - " He starts along to the music.

"Oh, oh, oh!" I chime in.

He points at me and continues, doing stupid little dance moves on his bed. "Dancing with myself - "

"Oh, oh, oh!" I laugh.

Peter continues to lip sync the rest of the lyrics, water bottle in hand and his finger pointer at me, and he's bouncing and dancing so much I begin to wonder if his bed might break.

"When there's nothing to lose, and there's nothing to prove, I'll be dancing with myself. Ah, oh, oh!" Peter lip syncs with a grin. He reaches forward and takes my hand, spinning me gracefully. I laugh and throw my head back as the music continues.

The plastic falls from his hand and the lyrics seems to fade in the back of my head as he takes both of my hands softly, looking down to me from his perch on his bed. I raise an eyebrow and hop up there with him, continuing to dance, but I slow down when I notice Peter has stopped.

"You good?" I shout over the music. Peter's eyes grow soft as the song continues on.

So let's sink another drink
'Cause it'll give me time to think
If I had the chance, I'd ask the world to dance
And I'll be dancin' with myself

My face seems to lean in further and further, closer to Peter's, and soon, both of our heads our tilting to the opposite side. Our eyes never break contact, and it's like everything fades away, except for Peter and the music.

Peter's hands are around my waist and mine cup his cheeks softly. Everything slows down and becomes a blur, and soon, our noses are brushing against each other, and our eyelashes flutter over one another's.

Slowly, my eyes fall shut, and I don't even think about what's happening until I hear the door open.

We both flinch and back away, resulting in Peter falling right onto his rear and me practically flying off of the bed. Peter's Aunt May stands at the door, her lips parted slightly and her eyebrows raised. She tucks her long, pretty brown hair behind her ear and stands there, looking shocked for just a moment.

I quickly unplug the speaker from my phone, and the music comes to an abrupt stop. It's silent.

"Uh," I start.

"H-hi, May." Peter stammers. The woman shakes her head just slightly and smiles, beginning to laugh.

"Sorry, I should've knocked." Her voice is silky and warm, like syrup with pancakes on a Saturday morning. "Didn't mean to interrupt, I was just going to ask you to, uh, turn the music down."

"No, uh, you're good," Peter starts.

"Yeah, you weren't interrupting." I force put with a smile. I can literally feel how red I am right now.

"Okay, well, um, I'll let you guys continue, to, uh...study." She chuckles softly, grinning at the two of us, who are standing dumbfounded and beet red.

Aunt May shuts the door quietly, and I hear her footsteps down the hallway.

It's silent. Peter clears his throat.

Holy shit. I almost kissed Peter.

Or did Peter almost kiss me?

Who kissed who?

We both kissed. That's it.

Holy shit. Peter and I almost kissed.

"I should, uh, probably go...it's getting late." I mumble, looking up at Peter, who's still in the same position from when he fell moments ago. He's sitting there, flushed and adorable, his hand resting in his hair.

"Yeah, yeah. What time is it?" He asks, sitting up and moving to the edge of his bed.

"Almost six," I murmur.

"Right. Yeah. I can, um, walk you home?" He offers, his cheeks still flushed and rosy.

"No, it's all good." I chuckle, packing up my bag and slipping my phone into my pocket. I adjust the straps and stand at his bedroom door, and just before I turn the doorknob, I turn around to look at him.

"I had fun," I chuckle.

"Yeah, me too." I squeak.

"That was kinda funny."

"What was?"

"May." I chuckle. "Totally embarrassing, but, uh, funny."

"Yeah," He laughs softly, running his fingers through his hair for about the seventh time. "Gotta love her."

"Goodbye, Peter." I murmur, turning the doorknob.

"Bye. See you tomorrow." He says with a soft smile. I return it and nod before leaving his bedroom.

I stand in the hallway and let out a long, deep breath.

What just happened?!

~~~

Author's Note

Hope you enjoyed ;^)

I'M SORRY FOR TEASING YOU ALL