Chapter 2: Merlin Says

Start from the beginning

Michael only stopped talking when grandma started letting out loud dry coughs. She sounded hoarse as she bent over sideways and continued to cough into a napkin. Scarlett reached over and rubbed her back soothing her with worry written on her face. The deep raspy noise escaping her throat and betraying her lungs was something I could never get used to, but it was just something that I had to live with.

"Grandma?" Michael whispered, his voice was shaky, and his face had fallen into a frown.

Grandma sat back up and was no longer coughing as she took a sip of her water. She shook only the slightest as she smiled at the boy in front of her. Her kind grey-brown eyes were a blessing to behold as they always carried a certain level of kindness when she looked at you.

"Its ok, Michael. Tell your story," grandma smiled with the napkin she just coughed instill clutched tightly in her hand.

Michael just stared at her. His eyes full of fright and his lips pulled down. He looked as though he had seen a ghost from the way his face was stricken with fear. Her sickness was never something he was able to process, he just repressed it. I theorized that the reason he had so many imaginary friends was to cope with grandma's illness. It couldn't have been easy for him to deal with.

"I don't think so, Quinn," Scarlett interjected, "the kids have to get to school now."

I smiled at grandma and Scarlett, then they smiled at me. We both understood how delicate he was, and I knew that she was signaling for me to talk to Michael. I understood, but I had no clue as to what I'd even say. I was sure that I could possibly find the words to comfort him for the time being, but what about the next time she starts to cough. What happens when she dies?

She sighed, "Well, maybe next time."

We stood up and put back on our bags that were resting at our feet. By that time, the sun was fully out. It was no longer being shy as it hid behind trees. It was a big bold and beautiful as it could be. As the sun sheds a spotlight over grandma's head, I couldn't imagine being so beautiful at her age.

"One last thing," she stopped us before we began to walk away, "I don't believe I ever got the chance to tell you what your magic is."

Michael tripped over his words, "I-it's ok."

"No, darling. I believe that you should know your magic," grandma insisted, we listened, "you, my boy, have the gift of Michael. The gift to see things that others can't see. You are special."

Michael smiled, and so did I. Grandma was always good with comforting words which were a gift I hadn't yet mastered. If I did, I'd probably know how to calm Michael.

We went outside and waited at the water fountain for Olivia. Well, Michael went to the water fountain. He sat on the piece of concrete that stopped the water from pouring onto the ground and ran his hands in the water. I could tell that grandma was really bothering him, but I didn't quite know what to say.

I went directly to the rose garden right behind the fountain in an effort to avoid having a chat with Michael. I walked onto the soft grass and looked at the rows of roses before me. The rose bushes themselves were perfectly lined up against each other. They were partitioned into two sections; red and white.

The closest rose bush was red. A single rose stood out in the bunch as it seemed to be pushing out at me. It was completely blemished free and resembled the color of a perfectly ripe red apple. It was soft on my fingertips and sweet on my nose, but it was most beautiful tucked in the puff of my hair after I yanked it from the stem.

"Esme!" My brother called.

I turned around to find him climbing into Olivia's car. I sighed and walked over to the car completely over the concept of school. I felt like a thief after plucking the rose off from the others and using it as a decoration in my hair.