I sat down rereading the email. This was going to get harder; I mean how was I supposed to tell Ryan that I didn’t like him like that. I loved the kid don’t get me wrong but he was just a brother to me. I mean we have known each other since we were in diapers. That on the one hand does not scream attractive to me. So instead of thinking about Ryan I went ahead and started typing an email to Cameron.

Dear Cameron,

I love Kermit, he is absolutely adorable and I don’t even want to let him out of my sight. He’s such a happy puppy and all he does is play and then sometime he jumps up on the bed (or attempts to jump) and snuggles with me. I can’t thank you enough for getting him for me. The only thing though is I don’t really know how I’m going to pay for his food because the only money I have I was saving up to got to Harvard so now I have to fit this little guy into my bill because I’m definitely not getting rid of him.

As for you not sticking around, well I knew it would be like that. You already told me that we weren’t going to meet until the Halloween dance. Which is depressing but I guess I can wait. So if you’re going as Prince Charming to the Halloween dance it only seems fitting that I go as Cinderella. Which is going to require me to go shopping. Which I hate so just know that I must like you somewhat if I’m going shopping with you.

Also at this dance are we going to wear masks or are we showing ourselves completely?

Okay, about Ryan. What do I say to him? I have absolutely no idea even what to do or say when it comes to men. I’m a freaking nerd for Christ’s sake. Well I guess that’s about it. I’ll talk to you sometime tonight let’s make it about eleven-thirty.

Yours truly,

Elle

P.s my favorite color is purple.

            I shut down the lid to my laptop after hitting the send button and started thinking of the ways I could tell Ryan that I didn’t like him that way. Each scenario I played in my head all ended the same way, Ryan getting hurt. I was getting ready to pick up the phone and dial his number when my phone started ringing. It was Adrian.

“Hello.” I said in an almost too cheery voice.

“Hey, what’s up?” He said in his cool tone that he always used when talking to me.

“Oh nothing much just playing with the puppy your brother got me.” I said while picking up Kermit and cuddling him to my face.

“Damn, I guess that puts another tally on his name.” he said. I could hear the smile on his face. “Anyways I was wondering what you’re doing tonight?” he asked.

“Nothing much I was just sitting here thinking of ways I could tell Ryan that I only liked him as a friend.” I responded hurt in my voice.

            “Well I have the perfect idea then.” He said all cheery.

            “Oh yeah, and what is that?” I asked.

            “How about you come over to my house with your new puppy and we can watch a movie.” He asked.

            “Yea sure that sounds great, but you’ll have to pick me up.”

            “No problem I’ll be there in like ten minutes.” He said and then hung up the phone.

            I walked downstairs and grabbed Kermit and snuggled him into my chest and stood in front of the window and waited. It really only took him about five minutes to get to my house. Like the gentleman he is he walked up to my door and even rang the doorbell. I pulled open the door and Adrian was looking pretty good. Hi had on a white button down shirt and some dark blue jeans that looked designer.