Chapter 2: Recounting Old Stories pt.2

Date: 17/10/2018

Time: 0624 hours (6:24 am)

Location: Herefordshire, England

Primary objective: Recruitment for Team Rainbow

Secondary objective: Tell the leaders of Team Rainbow how it is you came to be.

_______________________________ 

(Y/N) POV

"So what happened after that?" Asked Harry, now with more caution. Meanwhile, Six wrote down whatever she deemed as necessary. I, however, had a plan and played the part accordingly. Sat with my head down and looked at the floor, clenching my hands and teeth in sudo anger having to relive these memories. It seems I'm not to bad of an actor either.

"Give him a moment, Harry. Trauma no matter how big is never an easy thing to tell, let alone relive. This is bound to be a difficult thing for him. In fact, he is already doing extraordinary well." said Six, the first time she said something since this Harry guy showed up. One of the first times any of them showed actual concern with my behavior actually. Granted now I'm putting up a damn good mask that will keep them off my back, so press on I must. 

"Just shut up and listen," I growled. Bringing their attention back to me they were ready to listen. What they don't know won't hurt them, so here go's nothing. 

..........................................................................

17 years from the present

Date: 26/1/2001

Time:1446 hours (2:46 pm)

Location: Afghanistan, 20 miles from Ashrow

Primary objective: Secure evac and bring all assets back home to base

Secondary objective: Locate and eliminate the enemy

Leading team: Joker squad, including SPC. L\N, PFC. Taylor, PMC soldier. Elzbieta Bosak, Navy Seal. Meghan Castellano

Secondary team: Vagues squad, objective to scout half a klick north of Joker squad, equipped with Humvee support

_________________________________________

(Y/N) POV

The crack of a rifle shot and an explosion filled the once dead silent valley.

Delta and I instinctive drop to the ground prone, and while I scan our surroundings she sets up her rifle. With the valley's many little caves and crevices all along its edge, it's easy for someone to hide as long as they know the terrain, and all we can hope for now is that they didn't see us. Although looking over the ridge, it was clear we weren't much of a concern. 

The Humvee carrying Vagues squad and our supplies were ablaze with orange and red flames licking at the hood and driver's seat. Shimmers of glass glaring in the sun speckled the burning dirt, and those who weren't caught in the blast were now scrambling to get to the burning humvee. I could see two slowly get to their feet after being knocked down, but from what I could see no one looked critically hurt which was a slight breath of relief. Although, my keen eye would be called into question. 

"What are we looking at L/N?" asked Delta who had her attention on our surroundings rather than our crew left in the open like sitting ducks. "Looks like a triggered IED," I answered. Not even a second after saying that, I knew we were in shits creek, when a haunting war cry erupted, echoing throughout the valley " الأمريكية" (American's!)

One cry soon turned to hundreds as they continuously echoed throughout the jagged rocks. At that moment though, Delta finally found a target. "I see 'em, dugout at two o'clock," She said and took aim. "How many?" I hastily asked. She didn't look up from her scope as she trailed, "I see about 20..." before taking her shot.