How Did My Mother Die?

Start from the beginning

"And I won't let him do that" Arnav whispered determined.

Everyone looked to their left to find Yara walking in.

"Are you okay Yara?" Payal asked as she sat next to her.

"Ha why?" Yara asked looking at everyone.

"I mean after what happened in the evening..." Varun trailed off.

"You guys are acting as if he raped me. I'm fine" Yara said laughing, "Look at me. Do I look sad?"

"Nahi, that's what I'm worried off!" Esha said and Yara looked at her.

"Yara" Arnav said and Yara turned to him.

He said, "What made you believe his words? You thought that he would harm Esha? Don't ever believe his words okay? Ever!"

Yara nodded and Arnav said, "Yara, his battle is towards me and he is just using you. Do not fall for his trap. So next time, if he uses mine or Esha's name just ignore it. Nothing will go wrong to us"

Yara hummed and Arnav said, "He'll say many things. Never believe in anything!"

"What if he says that you are in danger?" Yara asked.

"Ignore it" Arnav said firmly.

"What if he says he'll kill you?"

"Ignore it"

"What if he says that you killed his father?" Yara asked crossing her arms.

Arnav froze and his face paled.

Everyone looked at Arnav waiting for his response.

"Ignore it" Arnav whispered and looked down to his plate.

Yara nodded and leaned to take a paratha. She tore a piece of it and dipped it in the curry. "Hmmmm" she moaned relishing the taste and said to Payal, "Superb maasi!"

"Actually Esha cooked it!"

"Wow di" Yara cried and looked at Esha who chuckled.

"You cook well!" Yara said.

"I just tried. I cannot cook like you but still....I too have some hidden talents" Esha said smiling.

"Not everything remains hidden for long di" Yara said smiling and chewed her paratha looking at Arnav. Arnav looked up at her and gulped.

"Huh?" Akash asked and Yara said, "Talents chachu. Not every talent remains hidden...hai na dad?" she asked Arnav.

"Err...yeah" Arnav nodded and looked at Yara who had her eyes fixed on her.

.

.

.

11.30 pm

.

"Papa" Yara called out walking into his room. Arnav sat up on the bed watching her enter with a power and confidence he never saw in his daughter. The girl closed the door behind her and strode towards him.

"What is it?" Arnav asked getting out from the bed, suddenly nervous about his own daughter.

"I want to know the truth" Yara said calmly.

"What truth?"

"Today that guy told me that he wants to avenge his father's death. And said that your daughter will follow the fate of their mother. What fate? You said that mom died in a car accident. But you lied, didn't you?" Yara asked sharply.

"Yara listen..."

"Just because I'm the youngest doesn't mean that I'll stay as a baby forever dad" Yara said angrily, "This whole family is hiding something from me. Not something...things about my mother. I want to know. Who is Rishikesh to this family? Why is he angry on you? Why does he want to hurt me and di? And most importantly...how did my mother die?"

"It's unpleasant memories Yara" Arnav whispered and slumped on the bed.

"Just tell me" Yara said sighing, "Whatever the memories are...it's the truth. How long are you gonna keep me in dark? I want to hear it from you not from that scoundrel!" she finished in a cry.

Arnav sighed and said, "Your Anjali bua was married once. Her husband used to eye your mother. We kicked him out. Years later, one day, a week after your delivery, he came here. He raped Khushi and killed her"

Yara gasped and Arnav said nodding his head, "No one was here but Esha...Esha saw it. Witnessed it hiding behind the door. She gave her testimony but that bastard was not punished. He walked out free. A few years later he died. His son shot him!"

Arnav looked at Yara and said, "That's the truth"

Yara slumped on the floor, tears rolling down her face. A whole life she lived thinking that her mother died in a car accident. Not that it would make any difference; her mother is still dead. But she...she died in a horrible way. A way that she never deserved...in fact, no woman deserves such a death.

Arnav looked at her and said, "Get up Yara"

"Why did Rishi tell me that you killed his father?" Yara whispered.

"I...I didn't...he is lying" Arnav whispered.

Yara nodded and asked, "You're saying the truth na?"

Arnav cupped her face and nodded his head.

"If he killed his father, why does he want to avenge his father's death?" Yara asked frowning.

"I don't know" Arnav said and looked away. He walked to the poolside and looked at the pool.

"Good night" Yara whispered and turned to walk away.

She suddenly stopped and turned to Arnav. "Dad" she called out and he turned.

"If you have nothing to do with Rishi's father's death, why do you get tensed on its mention?" Yara asked.

Arnav's face paled and Yara asked, "Are you scared of something?"

"No nothing"

"Your face has gone white" Yara whispered.

"It's...I'm just scared...he is turning you against me" Arnav whispered.

"No he is not" Yara said firmly, "I believe my father."

Arnav took a deep breath and she said, "But dad, if I find that any one thing that you told me is a lie that would make everything that Rishi told me true!"

Arnav looked at her shocked and Yara said, "Don't do anything that would make you fall before my eyes. Please" she whispered and walked out.