9.

The new year morning was colder than any year before. But there was something warm about it this time. Louis stood behind the counter making hot lattes and cutting slices of pumpkin logs, and simply smiling about the fact that he made it through the holidays without Harry.

He spent Christmas week with his family in Doncaster, and Eleanor had accompanied him. Trying to explain to his mom that he and Eleanor were no longer an item and wouldn't ever be anything but friends was difficult, but she gave up hassling him about it. Christmas Eve was always the same. They went outside until a half hour before midnight to sing carols and play in the snow. Louis enjoyed spending time with his mom and four little sisters. It was good to get away from that tiny apartment.

When he and Eleanor returned home, they went on 'friend dates'. Most of them were just out to lunch or to see a movie. And today, they were side by side making coffees.

"El, I don't think that I ever got to thank you for the last couple weeks. You've been a great friend to me."

She handed the customer their order before answering. "Well, it's what girls are supposed to do when they go through a break up." Her eyes widened at what she just blurted. Louis had the same shocked expression on his face.

"I am so sorry. I didn't mean it-"

Louis exhaled. "It's fine, just don't make a habit of saying things like that please." He smiled to reassure her that he understood where she was coming from. It had been somewhat of a shock to hear that her ex boyfriend had only broken up with her because he was always interested in guys.

After they had a long discussion about the matter, El teased him about him never getting jealous when she showed him pictures of Abercrombie models.

The work day went by pretty fast, which was good because it kept Louis' mind focused on his job rather than old memories that could make him break faster than someone snapping their fingers. He tried his best to ignore the rude customers and follow through with his orders for the much more patient ones. 

"Hey, Lou," Eleanor shouted as she was unlocking her car door. "Call me tonight after you get home. Maybe we can schedule something for this weekend."

"Sure." Louis and El waved each other their goodbyes and got into their cars. Being in the comfort of his little old clunker, Louis had never felt more relxed. He was finally getting over being used and dumped, and emotionally scarred by Harry. He was glad to be back on his own; it's the way that he preferred things in his life.

As he turned the keys into the ignition, a small piece of paper that was tucked beneath the wipers started to flap against the windshield. "Oh great," he groaned. "Probably just a notice or even a ticket."

Louis reached out his window to grab the slip. The paper felt like sketchpad paper, something that he hadn't felt or touched in a while. He was anxious to unfold the paper, but also very timid. Taking a deep breath, he unfolded every crinkled part until the note was laying open in front of him.

Louis,

"Oh, God." He continued reading.

I know that I left you all so sudden, and there is a good reason for it. If you'll let me I'd like to explain things in person. I'm staying at the Rutherford Luxe Hotel. You can come by if you'd like, or I can always meet you somewhere. I know that I owe you a lot.

Always,

Harry