'Mr. Grumpy joking around... oh my, end of the world is close.' he responded with sour tone of voice. 'Anyway- what if our target is just someone pretending to be such "demon" to scare people out of place?'

'Possible. And good point, I agree.' said Midnight.

'You... agree with ME??' Scarlet made shocked face and turned to Azure. 'Can you like, check him up or something? I think he's seriously ill...'

'Shut it, shorty.'

'Ah, no. All fine. False alarm.' Scarlet smirked at the back of other boy.

Azure jumped forward to line up with Midnight. She was afraid he will lose nerves because of Scarlet again but he seemed all calm and focused.

'And here we are.' she pointed to the left, where they could see wooden houses, hidden between trees. Further in front of them was spreading a beautiful landscape of a lake and meadow, soaked in sunlight, with a wall of solid rocks flanking the valley from the West and North side.

Scarlet whistled, when they stopped near the houses, at the border of the forest.

'Look at that. Perfect place for holidays.'

'We're at work here. So get moving.' Midnight cut in and walked to the nearest house, greeted by one of residents.

While they were explaining situation to the ninjas, one of them mumbled silently, something about Konoha sending them kids for help. Scarlet already opened mouth to drop some stingy comment about bunch of adults not being able to solve it on their own, but Midnight grabbed his jacket and pulled back, stopping him from this.

'Please rest assured that while we're young- every one of us is well trained member of elite ninja squad.' he said to group of people, making them quiet. 'Leave this work for us.'

And as everyone finally decided to trust them, they showed all the places where incidents took place.

'I was one of victims of him.' one of men was telling them his story. 'It was getting late and I was still near the lake, ending work for the day. Then, without a single sound, a figure of a man, like a ghost or shadow, appeared nearby. he was wearing a kind of hood but really hard to tell any details- not only it was dark but it's like... like if memories of him vanished... He threw few kunai my way- but all missed. i think it were kunai but all that was left were cut marks on trees and rocks. I yelled, asking who he is and then he jumped to me...' Eyes of the man turned darker for a moment of silence, then he continued, with more pale face. 'it was like sudden thick darkness. Like falling into depths of the lake at night. And I could feel how the energy leaves my body, until I couldn't move anymore. I've heard a calling from distance and darkness backed out. When i opened eyes again I could see a giant shadow one the lake's shore- at first i thought it's a bear but... really not sure about it.'

Young ninjas listened to stories of all the victims. All of those were showing a pattern. And, although there was no lethal cases, few of them were left barely alive after encounters with assailant.

All three went out, to investigate area around the lake- where all of incidents happened.

Azure looked at Midnight, who was busy checking blade marks on trees. She knew very well that they were here at work and all, but she also wanted to talk with him so much. Not about all this here. But about... them. 

'Hey, Azure?' Midnight asked out of sudden, making her jump a little in place.

'Y-yes?' she stuttered, surprised.

'What you think about all this? Any idea of what is happening here?'

'Uhm... well...' she was trying to form any answer but her mind was filled with other sort of things right now, making it a bit difficult. 'Well, I'm not sure...'