5 - Sleeping on the job

Start from the beginning

I cleared my throat and said in a softer tone, "I'm sorry. You're right, I did forget. And you know why I couldn't have asked my dad."

One of the elevators behind us dinged and Gage turned to greet the doors that opened, letting out a delivery boy who had probably been bringing coffee to the offices above.

"Yeah, yeah, because you hate your job," Gage said, cutting me off. He raised his voice, asking the postman, "What floor?"

"Five," The postman muttered, "Thanks."

Gage hit the button for five and we waited until we made our stop on the fifth floor. The postman left us in a tense silence as we waited for him to struggle his way through the doors. Once the elevator doors closed, Gage pressed the button for the basement levels and a panel on the right side opened.

"It's not that I don't like the job—."

"I know that. I was just saying that for that delivery guy's sake." Using the small keyboard, Gage typed in his name as he let his eyes be scanned. He stepped back, allowing me to scan my eyes as well. The panel closed and the elevator descended down to the Dreamwalker Headquarters' lobby. Twenty floors past the lobby we had originally checked into, and we'd reach our destination.

"I know my dad is hiding something. He hasn't been home for a few days now, and he's telling mom it's because of work. The days he does come home, he leaves either extra early the next morning, or stays late," I said, slumping against the wall.

"You're sure there's not something going on between your mom and dad?" Gage said, raising a knowing eyebrow.

"It's not that, they're fine. I think. I don't know." I rubbed a hand over my eyes, frowning. "My dad was always a workaholic, but he never lied about it. The Archives proved that. Those missions he said he was on a few years ago, those were true. But when you hacked into the database, we saw that he hadn't been assigned any new missions."

"Your dad is the leader of the spies, Joe. Maybe you should give him some credit. It's not like he wants all of his missions or assignments to be broadcasted over Headquarters," Gage pointed out. "Every organization has their secrets."

I folded my arms. "When I asked for your help, I was asking as your friend, not the leader's son. You could've said no."

He smiled as the elevator dinged and the number 20 blinked onto the screen. "Good thing I'm the kind of guy that lives for breaking the rules." The doors opened and he brought a fist to his mouth, pretending to talk through a walkie-talkie. "Krrrsttt, badass over here, exiting the elevator, I repeat badass entering building—."

"Oh, shut up."

Gage laughed, punching my shoulder, causing me to wince. "You're not off the hook that easily, you know that right?"

I groaned. "What's her name? Henrietta?"

Gage never held a grudge for very long. He reminded me a lot like a puppy. A tall, lanky puppy that could eat its entire bodyweight worth of seafood—I only knew this because I'd seen him nearly do it.

"Harriet."

"Okay, I'll see if she wants to reschedule for tomorrow night?"

Gage was already shaking his head. "I already took care of it."

Oh no. "What did you do?"

He smiled graciously at me, holding his arms out as we walked down a few stairs to the main lobby area. We had to check in again, and go through security before actually entering Headquarters. "You, very kindly, offered to put in a good word with your dad about Harriet's spying abilities and Gina, well—."