The portal to "that"

Darryl is a troublesome 17 year old. Him and his family went to a camp because they "wanted" to get out of the house. And there, something interesting happens...
In a rare tree-free spot contained by a forest, Darryl and his younger sister Damian stand bored, passing a bouncy ball across the table their mother set up. As they wait for them to come back with the guides. Mom comes back, "The guide said that it's gonna take a while, so you guys just do whatever takes up your attention span for that time i guess." Darryl just looks at Mom with a look of boredom and annoyance. As Mom leaves Darryl brings up ideas to Damian for things to do while they wait. "Right... Let's go explore in the forest." "Ehm, isn't that a bit dangerous?" Damian says "Hey, if anything bad happens, at least we probably found something cool on the way" Darryl says in a joking, careless way. Damian isn't sure about it but she doesn't say anything. Darryl and Damian travel from the tree-free zone to the not-tree-free zone. Before leaving, Damian grabs a large coat to keep her from getting stabbed by thorns. After a few of walking, they find a bowl of fresh looking berries on the forest floor. "Hey look, some berries, wanna try 'em?" Darryl says, half-joking. "No way! I don't know what or when has been on those!" Damian says. "Your loss" Darryl laughs and grabs a berry about to eat it. Before he can eat it Damian shifts his hand away. "Are you crazy?" "C'mon, their in a bowl which probably means they were picked by a person who knows what they are doing, plus they look basically new. It's fine." Darryl says then picks another berry up. This time Damian doesn't stop him. "Ok, fine. But if you die within the next 24 hours, don't say I didn't try to stop you." Then Darryl proceeds to plop the berry in his mouth...