TWENTY-FOUR

2129

It was strange, returning to the little farming town after so long. The new age technology that he had been a part of creating had finally reached it and turned it into one of the many suburbs of the growing metropolis.

Isaac's farm was long gone, but the ranch still stood, a relic of what once was. Isaac, now as old as they were, had taken it after his parents had died and would give it to Melanie and Luka when he eventually passed on.

Alexander and Jaden sat on the back porch, watching the sun sink below the horizon. Houses covered what once was farmland but in his mind, Alex could see the place where he once worked and lived. The wide green fields, the animals, the crops, they were more important than the cookie-cutter houses they had been replaced with.

"I'll never get used to seeing it like this," Jaden muttered next to him, head rested on his shoulder.

"Neither will I," he said. "Feels so empty."

Jaden sighed, his pure white hair tickling Alex's wrinkled cheek. "Imagine if you never decided to take a break from work," he started. "Or chose somewhere else."

"I would have been waiting even longer to find you. It would have been horrible." The ninety or so years he had waited were more than enough for him. Waiting any longer than that would have been hell.

"Waiting thirty years for you was more than enough," Jaden said. "I just wish you didn't have to struggle for so long."

"It was worth it."

"Was it?"

"Of course it was!" Alexander exclaimed, gripping Jaden's frail hand in his own. "I love you. We have two dumbass kids, a couple of grandchildren and more on the way. I may have waited almost a century for it, but I couldn't be happier with what I've got."

"I love you too, you big sap."

"I've realised over the years that you say this stuff just to make me say sappy things to you," he said with a smile. "Don't deny it, we both know it's true. You love my sappiness."

"I do," Jaden replied, letting out a deep breath.

Alex laughed. "I should hope so," he said. He looked down at their hands clasped together in his lap. They were both so old now, their bodies in their seventies. Their hands were frail and wrinkled, arthritis forming in Alex's left wrist. He hadn't been able to tinker properly for a couple of years now. Even with the wrinkles all over his soulmate's body and the white hair that covered his heads, Jaden was still beautiful.

He could feel himself drifting off in the light of the setting sun, his head drooping to rest of Jaden's. He was growing more and more tired as of late. He knew he still had some years left in him, but both of them were moving closer and closer to the edge. Alex couldn't say he minded, he'd lived a full and happy life, one longer than he had ever expected it to be.

Footsteps sounded on the floorboards behind him, stirring him from his near sleep. "Hey, sleepyheads," Isaac said in a raspy voice. "I have coffee." A mug was thrust into Alex's hands as he yawned.

Isaac was sick, seriously sick. Alex still didn't quite know what it was, but it was a disease that had popped up in the last few decades. His wife, the waitress from a long gone restaurant in the town, was perfectly fine, aside from being exhausted from looking after Isaac every day. That was part of why Jaden and Alex were there. Isaac was nearing his time, and his wife needed their help.

Isaac sat on the porch steps next to him with a ragged breath, leaning against the handrails. His breathing was rough, his body frail and face gaunt. His skin had a sickly yellow tinge to it. Just looking at him made Alexander sad.

"You shouldn't be walking around," Jaden said as he sat up.

"I had a little bit of energy and I wanted coffee," Isaac replied.

"And now how do you feel?" Alexander asked.

Isaac sighed. "Horrible," he said. "But now I have coffee."

The pair chuckled. "I don't think that's going to make you feel any better," Jaden told him.

"Well, I won't know until I try."

Alex only shook his head, leaving the younger man to sip at his coffee. Whatever helped him through the process. He and Jaden had been there almost a week and would stay until Isaac eventually passed on. It didn't matter how long it took, they would be there for their friend until the end.

Isaac reached out, grabbing Alex's free hand and letting out a soft sigh. His wife was out doing the shopping for the week and wouldn't be back for at least another hour. She would have thrown a fit if she caught Isaac outside, but Alexander figured he would let him get some fresh air for once. They would take him back to bed later.

"Have you heard from the kids?" Jaden asked.

"Melanie called yesterday and Ida called last week," Isaac answered. "I think she said she was going to call tomorrow or visit. I don't remember."

"It would be nice if she visited," Alex said. "I haven't seen her since her Ceremony."

Isaac let out a huff. "She's been pretty busy with work," he said. "I don't remember what she said she was doing, but it sounded important."

"As long as she's enjoying it," Jaden said.

"I should hope she is. She spent so long in university trying to get there. It would be horrible if she regretted it." As Alex watched, Isaac tightened his grip on his hand and let his eyes close.

"Maybe we should get you back inside," the older man suggested.

"No, no," Isaac argued, his eyes opening once more. "Let me watch the sunset. I need to get out of that bed for a while anyway."

"If you're sure," Alex replied. "Just let us know and we'll take you back." Isaac made a noncommittal noise and nodded in reply. Jaden shuffled against him, shifting into a more comfortable position for them both and sipping at his coffee.

"I just want to see the sunset one more time," the frail man muttered, more to himself than anyone else. Feeling tears in his eyes, Alex grasped his hand tighter. He would grant his friend's wish.

The trio drifted into silence, watching as the sun slowly made its way below the houses. It was slow, but beautiful. The clouds were tinged orange and pink, slowly drifting into the dark blue and black of the night sky. The stars were starting to come out and the moon was visible between the clouds.

Alex let his thoughts float away like the clouds above him. So much had happened in his life. He'd waited and travelled and became the CEO of a technology company. He'd invented something that helped thousands upon thousands of people find their happiness and eventually found happiness with it himself.

That happiness had almost ended before it even began and for a while, Alexander had blamed himself, but he'd eventually learned that it wasn't his fault at all (if anything, it was Jaden's). He finally had his Ceremony after years of watching everyone he loved go through theirs. Even though a lot of the people he'd wanted to be there couldn't come, it was still more than enough for him.

He'd come so far, from a four year old listening to his grandmother's tales of love and soulmates, to watching his best friend find her own happiness before him, to losing so many loved ones. From death and loneliness and depression to a soulmate and a family and more happiness than he ever could have hoped for. He couldn't be more pleased about where his life had taken him.

He was so wrapped up in his thoughts and the setting sun that he almost didn't notice when Isaac's hand fell limp, when his body sagged against the rails. He almost didn't notice when he finally stopped breathing and drifted away peacefully towards the afterlife, a smile on his face.