Old And Rusted

Astro abruptly awoke to the piercing noise of banging and men cackling. He groaned and sat up. The back of his limo wasn't the most comfortable place to fall asleep, but it would have to do.

He pushed open the car door and walked slumped out, his left leg failing to work correctly, giving him a bit of a limp. He walked around to the other side of the car and saw the five laughing men, tinkering at his car wheel. He frowned at them, his bleak tiredness only adding to his annoyance.

"Ah, guys." Astro leaned on the black car. "Those are chrome plated mugs." He spoke casually to the five men, as though they weren't trying to steel from him. "You can't strip them." The men stood up and backed away from the car, surprised by the seemingly sudden appearance from Astro. "Nobody will pay a dime for those."

One of the men mumbled something in Spanish causing another man pull out a gun from his pant pocket, aiming and shooting the rusted robot. Astro landed back and hit the floor with a clank. "Crap.." He mumbled, feeling the bullet piece his side. The group of men then went back at it, working to take away the tire of the car and maybe some other parts too. Astro blinked a few times before getting back up again. "Guys, gives seriously.. you don't want to do this." He struggled to stand, but for just being shot he was handling himself well.

"Take him out." One of the men said, becoming incredibly angered by this boy's persists. The man with the gun aimed and shot Astro again, but this time it hit his arm. His body wobbled from the impact.

"Bloody hell.." Astro stumbled back. The third man came up to Astro and tried to hit him with a conveniently placed crowbar. Astro grabbed the weapon before it managed to make contact with him and shoved it into the man's stomach. From behind, he was then hit him over the head with something hard and metal. He stumbled forward, clutching his bashed head to check for some sort of dint. Astro's free arm turned into a canon blaster and he aimed it at the opposing men, missing a few times but eventually hitting his target.

"Fuck him up!" Astro was then kick, his weak leg twisted from the blow and he fell to his knee. The robo boy fell forward onto the floor clutching his stomach. Another kick was aimed at his face and he groaned in pain. Astro's arm cannon morphed back into his hand and pushed himself up to stand and continue to fight back. He rammed into one of the men pushing them to the floor. He then pointed his finger at the man and shot a laser right into his glistening forehead.

A shot went off, but instead of being hit with any bullets the sound of the bullet hitting and bouncing off metal pierced the air. The perpetrators had almost shot Astro but aimed too far away and hit the limo. He reloaded for another shot. "Not the car!" Astro shouted, pushing his arm out to catch the flying bullets with it. He cried out as the copper tore into his robotic arm and held the wounded appendage tightly to his chest. Astro quickly shot a laser at the armed man and cut off his arm. The decapitated arm splattered on the floor, causing the gun go off once more and hit the side of the car. Astro's eyes widened. "Son of a-!" He lunged at the man and punched him, hard. Astro fired another laser at one of the perps again, releasing his rage.

So far, three lay dead on the floor, the other two scattered into their van and drove off. Astro growled and picked up the crowbar he was hit with and threw it at the window of the van, managing to hit it and cause a crack in the windscreen.

The boy watched them drive off with a scowl on his face. As the barren road picked up dust from how fast they drove off into the night. His chest rapidly heaved up and down. "Assholes..." He grumbled and limped back to his car, taking the tools the men were using to take apart his car and throwing them away.

~~~

Astro had stopped to park at a petrol station. He got out of his car and went to the boot, grabbing some bandages and a hoodie. He closed the trunk and sunk into one of the public restrooms.

The robot boy took off his shirt and shoved the bin. Since it had bullet holes in it, he couldn't wear it. He leaned on the sink of the cramped bathroom and looked at himself. His face wasn't so beaten up, just a bit of dirt dusted his cheeks, thats all. He splashed water into his face, then felt an ache in his chest and arm where he was hit by the bullets. He had eventually pried the bullets out of his plastic body, but was left with holes as a burning reminder of his encounter. He blinked a few times and looked down in sorrow as tears threatened to blind his vision. He hated hurting people, he hated it so much, but what was he supposed to do? The world had gone to shit. If he just stood there and took it.. well.. he was already in a pretty bad condition.

He looked at the spare piece of clothing and put it on, it was a light blue hoodie. "Note to self, buy something to make you look older.." He mumbled. Astro had become somewhat a taxi driver. It was the only way he could get cash. Nobody recognised him anymore, and most of the people he would drive around were too drunk to even realise that he resembled a 15 year old boy.

~~~

As Astro drove along the deserted road, he listened to the radio. It was a late night broadcast with two men, talking and chatting about random topics. It was a better listen than his own thoughts.

"Everyone is asleep, Burt." The podcaster said. "Sleep walking, between the ice caps, pornographer, poisoned water, robots..." He was talking about some strange conspiracy theory. "It's all related."

"Hey, Clyde. It's 30XX. Why are we still talking about robots?"

Astro would often take strange people around on car rides, sometimes drunk boys who'd like to stick half their body out the window and chant things to the people outside. Other times it would be women just needing ride home from a night out.

Today though, Astro had been called to a funeral to drive a lady home. It was raining so Astro took cover under a tree away from the ceremony, since it wasn't his business to listen in. He decided he would wait in the car, instead of gathering rust in the rain.

As he started to limp back to the limo someone unfamiliar called his name.

"Astro Boy." Astro turned around to see who had called him, only to be faced with a middle aged women sustaining her dryness under a tree, about a few metres away from Astro. "I knew it was you." She said, seemingly happy at his appearance. Astro's eyes widened and he quickly turned around, quickly walking back to the car. "Please!" The women shouted, trying to run after him. Her heels only slowing her down in the thick mud. "I'm in trouble! You're the only one that could help!"

"Stay away from me!" Astro turned back and snapped that at her. Once he had got into the car he opened the back and grabbed out an umbrella for the women who had just come from the funeral and who he was supposed to be driving.

"Please! Astro boy!" She called out, her running soon ceasing.

"Who was that?" The women asked Astro as he shielded her from the rain with his umbrella.

"I don't know, just some crazy lady, don't worry about it." He reassured her. The middle aged women then got into her car, driving off past Astro.

As Astro peered at the vehicle, he saw a young girl in the backseat staring back at him, she had (H/C) hair, and (S/C) skin. Their eyes locked until they were too far away to see each other. Astro shook his head and got inside his car, something about that girl seemed a little familiar.