A hush fell over the madness, but Kara continued her last sentence."...you spoiled, self entitled bastard."

Noticing the startled expression on Jeriel's face, she turned around to see what he was seemingly afraid of. There in the doorway, stood an odd creature. This ancient looking man seemed more owl than actual man. His long, white beard and hair hung over what seemed to be a feathery cloak of white and grey. His large, yellow eyes studied the room in silence as he took a lumbering, limping step in using a long, gnarled staff for support. Jeriel gently grabbed at Kara's arm, at which he was quickly smacked away.

"Stop it." he whispered to her.

"You stop." she whispered back.

The owl-like man slowly limped his way over to Kara and Jeriel. He focused on Jeriel, staring him directly in the eye, to which Jeriel almost seemed frightened of the man. Then he focused his large eyes on Kara. After an awkward moment, a smile spread slowly over his very wrinkled face.

"Kara, child." he spoke with a deep, gravely voice."How nice it is to see you again."

Jeriel, knowing he had no business in this conversation, backed away, bowing in reverence.

The owl man extended his bony hand to Kara, taking her hand in his."I trust you remember little of this world, still?"

"Yes, sir." Kara spoke in an unsure tone, not exactly knowing what to say to him.

"Well, let me reintroduce myself to you. My name is Samuel. I am the last Arkkadian, or owl-lings and the last of all the elders."

Samuel gestured with his staff, toward the head table. "My dear, would you be so kind as to help an old man to his seat?"

"Yes, of course!" Kara answered, gently assisting him to Jeriel's big, comfortable chair. Jeriel swiftly moved to pull the chair away from the table so it would be easier for the ancient man to sit. Once he was seated, Kara walked back to her seat at the adjoining table, but her tension rose as Jeriel seated himself in the chair, at the head table, closest to her.

"Now," the elder began."After breakfast, I will meet with Kara to help her learn to track where the shards are. As you know, Kara needs a protector. Someone who knows the regions and all their dangers."

The room erupted in conversation. Each member of the council offering their help, but none could be her travel companion. Jeriel sat silent, tracing his finger absentmindedly on the table top. Suddenly, he smacked his hand angrily on the wood, jarring the plates and silverware.

"I will." He proclaimed loudly, to silence everyone. "I'll go with her."

"What?!" Kara responded. "No! Hell no. I'd rather go alone."

Jeriel looked at her for a moment, then stood, stepping closer to her. "Whether you remember it or not, I promised you, when we were young, to never let anything or anyone hurt you. I'll keep that promise to you, even if you don't like me."

Jezebeth audibly snickered and rolled her eyes.

"Very well, young Jeriel, you shall be her companion in her journey. I needn't tell you how precious she is to the world. Guard her well."

"I will, Elder, I will guard her with my life, if needed." Jeriel said, calmly as he bowed again to Samuel.

"Hopefully it won't come to that." The old owl man smiled a bit."Ok. Let's eat!"

Jeriel sat back down, in his chair by the Elder, stealing glances at Kara as they all enjoyed breakfast. Even though she seemingly hated him, he was completely enamored by her beauty and strength. There would be no way he'd ever trust anyone enough, to keep her safe, but himself.