The Lady and the Dragon

One day, long ago, when dragons and other mystical creatures roamed freely amongst humans a young lady was in search of a dragon. After five days without success she finally found a dragon's lair.

 A lady stood at the huge entrance and called in, "Hello, is anyone here?" After the echo stopped a voice, that was more like a rumbling mountain answered, "Why do you wake me?" 

 "I have heard that dragons can grant one wish within reason. I have traveled many days to find you and see if this is true," the she said. 

  A loud shuffling sound shook the lady as the dragon came to the entrance of his den. He was magnificent, the lady stood bewitched for she had never seen a dragon before. The dragon was thin, or so the lady thought, but incredibly long so that she could only see his head and forelegs. He had big, unblinking, silver eyes that were speckled with red. Smooth, green scales gave the dragon a fine layer of armor. Five claws on each foot and sharp, white teeth made for a good offense. 

  "We can indeed grant you your deepest desire," the dragon confirmed, "What is it that you want?" 

 The lady nodded to herself, "My dearest friend has passed the age of marriage. She will be lonely and will need help in the future. Please grant her a husband who will love her for who she is, and I know she will love him back." 

  "Your request has a heavy price. There are two ways of payment. The first is this woman and the husband I will create for her will both die after their third child is one month old. Or you stay with me for the rest of your life as my servant. Whichever choice is chosen can not be avoided, unless I allow it." 

  "I will stay, please let me go back and pack a few essentials," the lady said. 

  "You may go and attend your friends wedding, but then you must come straight back or many disasters will befall you and this friend," the dragon disappeared into the shadows. 

  The lady nodded again to herself and set out. It only took her two days to get back to her village. The wedding would not happen until midday of the next day so she rested and packed. The next morning she ate a final breakfast with her family. After the wedding the lady said goodbye and gave her friend a necklace of rose quartz that the lady's late mother had given her. Then she left with a small pack of clothes and food. Again the lady found herself at the gaping mouth of the dragon's den, "I have returned." 

  "A wise choice, come in. You will find your sleeping area quite easily. I must idle for a while. Do not bother me.!" The dragon grumbled. 

  "Wait! I am Lotus, what should I call you?" Lotus questioned. 

  "Dagaz," the dragon replied. 

  Lotus did find where she was to sleep and was surprised at how nice it was. It even had cloth so that she could make her own clothes. She found herself exhausted and quickly fell asleep. Hours later Lotus awoke. She could not hear the dragon so she assumed he was out. 

  After eating a light breakfast Lotus decided to dance. In her village she was the only dancer, and a great one too. Since there was no music Lotus hummed and danced. She was very graceful she danced until she grew too tired to continue. Then she sat on the edge of her bed and made cloths with the cloth. 

  "You are very talented," Dagaz mused. 

  Lotus jumped, startled, for she hadn't heard him enter the cave. 

  "Why do you dance?" he asked. 

  "To entertain others," Lotus answered. 

  "Why do you dance by yourself then?" 

  "To practice so that my performance is always on point." 

  "Hmm, I see. Would you like to perform now?" 

  "For who?" 

  "I can carry you to villages so that you can perform."

  "That would be wonderful! Let us leave at once!" Lotus exclaimed. 

  Dagaz rumbled which sounded suspiciously like a laugh. He allowed Lotus to climb onto his back and flew to a nearby village. Lotus went into a local tavern and danced while Dagaz went off and hunted. After a long while he came back, picked Lotus up and went home.

  They did this until Lotus grew to old to dance. Instead when they went out she and Dagaz would tell riddles. As Lotus was dying she gave Dagaz a present that has allowed him to live to this day. What the gift is no one knows and those that have tried to find out have never returned. Now a days Dagaz flies quietly at night, unseen by people down below, while Lotus watches from the stars. 

 The End