Chapter 1 - A Lesson on Bandits

Start from the beginning

"Nephen, could we stop and rest? Please?"

Quiet and barely audible, the voice came from one of the passengers. A girl who, despite her small stature, is fourteen years of age. Her name is Lilyth.

"..."

Nephen didn't respond. As tired as he was, it's surprising that he is still functioning. Instead the carriage slowly came to a halt, as he parked off the road.

Immediately after stopping, he stumbled over the driver's seat and moved to the wagon. The wagon was old fashion, so there was nothing separating the seat from the wagon itself. So, when he jumped over he wasn't faced with much of a burden.

After finding a spot among the passengers, as exhausted as he was, he immediately fell asleep. Any who were awake, followed soon after.

8th day of the Ice Month

Normally a person would claim a day starts after the sun rises. To Lilyth, it began as she woke up a little past midnight. Being a girl in her early teens, sleep is a necessity. She would have never woken up at that time had it not been for Nephen falling off wagon in his sleep.

With his fall he ended up waking everyone, except for himself. No one complained though. They all knew that after the clock's hand struck midnight, Nephen's last day as a child began. Giving him reign to do as he pleased.

Instead they all got out and joined him. The children that accompanied him laid blankets on the ground, Laying under the starry sky. Providing comfort and enveloping everyone in the warmth of wool sheets. That late night, before they headed out to Servillon, six children along with a soon to be adult, slept soundly.

Much to Lilyth's delight, before falling asleep, she peeked at Nephen  while he shifted in his sleep. Leaving his back exposed. Quietly, she took up the space he'd left open. Gently pressing herself against his back, seeking as much warmth as possible before the sun rose.

-He won't mind, will he?

Asking herself that pointless question, she fell asleep. All that knew him, knew that the children in the orphanage meant everything to Nephen. And so, he welcomed all the affection the children could offer.

As the time passed, the sun rose, and with it an abrupt awakening greeted Lilyth.

Unable to breathe, Lilyth felt the immense weight of Nephen on her. He was still out cold, but a shift in his sleep meant that he is now laying on top of her. While he is by no means overweight, she pales in comparison to his stature and build.

She was being crushed, leaving her seeking for way out.

"Nephen I can't breathe! I can't. Breathe. Get. Off. Please" Those were the only words she could muster before running out of air. A failure of a first attempt.

Unable to get him to notice her, Lilyth turned to her benediction. Being gifted with the benediction of ashes, a small flame ignited atop the tip of her right hand. One of the few different things her benediction could do

Pressing the small flame against Nephen woke him up rather quickly. Being as battle ready as he was, meant that while he is normally hard to wake up, the slightest sense of danger wakes him without a problem.

An exploit that Lilyth took advantage of while growing up alongside him. Just one of the many ways to get his attention.

"What's wrong?" Muttering those words in his drowsy state, he slowly rose from the ground. Still wrapped up in blankets. After a split second of being lost, he freed Lilyth from that somewhat pleasurable prison then plopped back down.