8 | i do not know • ii

Start from the beginning

"We have a problem, don't we?" Adelia gave the dagger to her husband who pocketed it, nodding impassively while she dialled Stefan. "Hello Stefan, my humblest greetings to you." She waved her hand and Damon got pinned over the adjacent wall, screaming his lungs out.

"Adelia?" Stefan frowned.

"Please hurry home or I can use the same dagger to slice off your brother's head and you have certainly seen my handiwork with the wolf, haven't you? He wouldn't survive," the witch said over the phone as silence ensued over the other end.

"What is happening?" the younger Salvatore asked fearfully, listening to his brother's screams.

"Let's talk in person, I do appreciate a good company. I have Alaric and Damon here, the culprits. John's fate we've yet to decide. Come soon," she ended the call while looking at Elijah. The witch looked at her broken heel and tsked before discarding them, going barefoot.

"I presume we are thinking the same?" Elijah asked. "I should inform the Martins of the recent developments," he said and left the room to make the phone call.

"So John? You know me, don't you?" she asked the doppelganger's father when he nodded, making her smile. "Good."

Elijah returned with a drink and handed it to her who gulped it down in one go as they waited for Stefan and Elena to arrive.

After what felt like an hour, the duo ran inside the Boarding House to see Damon pinned on a wall, his appearance veiny and red. Alaric and Jenna slumped on the floor and a couch respectively, the former's hand bent at an odd angle with tears flowing down his cheeks and John seated silently at the table, looking absolutely nervous. They noticed Adelia and Elijah reading in chairs like the people around them weren't being tormented.

"What have you done to them?!" Elena rushed towards her aunt.

"This one is quite good, Elijah," she gestured at the book before turning to look at the doppelganger. "Nothing much. Alaric's injury wouldn't affect him as long as I want him conscious and Jenna is under a sleeping spell. I prefer to have an audience, but since your aunt is not aware of the supernatural I decided to keep her out of it. Hurting innocents is not my forte," the witch replied and put down her book before eyeing Stefan as his blood started heating up, sweat dribbling down his face.

"Rectify the situation soon, Klaus isn't that understanding of other people's knowledge," Elijah added, turning over a page.

"Why are you doing this?" Stefan asked, panting.

Adelia walked towards Alaric, "I apologize, Mr. Saltzman," she pointed to his Gilbert ring, "It is quite handy to have things like that in your possession, dark magic at its finest. Temporary reprieve to the Other Side but I wouldn't misuse it if I were you, you never know what you might encounter there."

"I had no idea they were going to do this," said Elena, getting up from beside her aunt.

"You didn't stop them either, did you?" Elijah got up, giving her a look, "I know when you lie, Elena."

She glanced away, avoiding his stare.

Suddenly Alaric got up and shot a wooden stake towards Adelia with his other hand. Elijah immediately fleeted over to his wife, catching the stake in motion.

She sighed while Elijah's eyes blazed with fury. He instantly went behind the hunter and snapped his neck, horrifying everyone as Alaric's body fell to the floor motionless.

"Alaric should consider himself fortunate, of course," the Original stated with disdain, "for the ring."

"You two will pay for this. I will kill you once I get free of this," Damon's hoarse voice echoed throughout the room.