Chapter 12: Enough

Start from the beginning

Blair began shopping once we made it to a makeup store, urging me to buy an new eyeshadow pallet and teach her how to look glam.

I had felt a little down because this trip was for Coen's birthday, but although he didn't purchase anything, he looked to be having the time of his life.

"I'll find us a table." I glanced around the food court, attempting to not make awkward eye contact with strangers as I landed on an empty table against the grand windows. "Do you want anything?" Kenji asked. "Uh just get me a pretzel and a lemonade please." He nodded, scurrying off with the rest of the group to stand in line for food.

I sat down at the table, taking a second to retie my shoes and check my phone's notifications. Time passed as I responded to Joey's text message, inciting a conversation about Tyrone and the bad influence group of guys he was hanging out with. When things got rough, it was easy for him to fall back in with the bad crowd he followed while still in foster care. It had us worried.

My thoughts we cut off by the sudden sight of boots in front of my feet. My gaze peered up quickly, thrown off by the mysterious presence of someone in front of me.

"Can I help you?" I asked. He took a step back once he saw my expression. "S-sorry. I just wanted to come over here and tell you how sexy you are. Like your sexy as hell." The teen could barely get through the sentence without turning around for validation from his friends and obvious glances at my lips.

"Can I sit here?"

"Nah the seat—" He took the seat, anyway, not bothering to listen to me. I turned my attention toward him, my eyes boring into his own. "The seat is taken. Move. I don't want any romance with you so please respect my wishes to be alone right now."

"Baby, you don't have to be like that." He reached his hand forward toward mine. I quickly pulled away, anger and anxiety surging through my body. "Do not touch me. I said no, now walk away. Do not attempt to coerce me before I embarrass you in front of your little friends."

He looked back at his friends, them laughing at him being rejected. "Well, the seat is taken by me. You don't have a boyfriend as I can see."

"Well then you must be fucking blind. Get up and leave my girl alone." Coen zoomed towards his table, his torso pressing against the chair the guy was sitting in. His friends quickly dispersed with embarrassing ooh's as the guy turned around to look at him. Kenji and Blair walked around to my side of the table, enjoying the interaction happening in front of us.

"I'm sorry bro, I didn't know she was your girlfriend." He stood up, moving the chair out for Coen to sit. "Even if she was single and ready to mingle, she clearly didn't want to mingle with you. Why is that you only respected her no after I, the man, came into the picture? That's fucked. Walk away." The boy quickly sent an apology my way, scattering towards the direction his friends with.

Kenji rubbed a soft hand on my back and Blair sent me a soft smile, handing over my food. Coen huffed, sitting back into the chain. He took my hand in his, rubbing a soft circle over my knuckles. "You, okay?" I nodded. "More so angry than anything. I'm okay."

"We can leave if you want."

"No. No. This day is for you, don't worry about me." I leaned forward, bring his hand up toward my mouth for a small peck. He grinned, a small giggle leaving his mouth before he rose to his feet. "I always worry about you. We can go, really, it's fine. I don't really like the energy here any more anyway." The rest of us hesitantly asked him again to make sure before we all finally left the mall.

The drive dropping everyone off at home was better than our entire time there at the mall. From karaoke, song quizzes, and lots of rapping out of the open windows, we had a blast. By the time Kenji and Blair were dropped off, Coen was almost asleep in the front seat.