Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I blinked several times, just to make sure this was a dream. It didn't work, so I pinched myself. But that didn't work either. This can't be real. It can't be. But it is, it is real. This is real.

My eyes widened, my mouth opened, my heart melted and I felt like my body shut down. The beeping sound echoed. It bounced off the walls. I wish it can stop, but it didn't. My mind wandered to when I was in the Quarter Quell. Peeta's heart stopped when he hit the force field with his weapon. His heart stopped, and I couldn't do anything but watch and beg for him to come back. Finnick ended up saving him, when I couldn't. I promised myself that I would save him, that Peeta would live through the Games instead of me, but I couldn't save him.

"Peeta?" I asked softly, standing up from my chair and bending over to him. I grabbed his hand. It was cold. It didn't have the warmth that I would feel when he touched me. Peeta's face was pale, white as a sheet of paper.

"Peeta." I say, more sternly. "Peeta!" I shake him. "Peeta, please! Open your eyes, you can't leave me! Come back! I need you!"

Tears were coming down my face while I shout at Peeta, but I didn't care. I didn't care if the doctors see me. "You need to wake up! Please wake up!"

"Stay with me . . . please." This time I whisper.

The door burst open with doctors and nurses filling the room. The rushed over to Peeta. One held me back and was backing out the room.

"No!" I shout at him. "Let me go!" I trash around and scream, but he was too strong. "I said let me go! I need to be with him!"

We were near the door. My eyes widened in fear. I can't leave, I need to stay with Peeta. I jabbed my elbow into his stomach. He let go and groaned holding his stomach. I ran over to Peeta, pushing doctors out of my way. Peeta's face was the same. I grabbed his hand, gripping hard. And then someone else grabbed me, pulling me back.

"No, no. Please, I need to be here with him! I can't leave him!" I shout but they ignore me. He pulled me back, but I did not let go of Peeta's hand. I was holding on so hard that Peeta was now moving in my direction as I pulled his hand and the doctor was pulling me away. The person pulling me eventually won. My hand slipped out of Peeta's grasp and I was being picked up, away from Peeta.

"Nooooooooo!" I scream. But I was already out the door. One doctor slammed the door and locked it. I banged my fist on the door, screaming my head off while fresh hot tears roll down my cheeks. The doctors closed the curtains so I couldn't see inside. I kept on screaming and banging.

A nurse came up to me, put an around me and made me sat on a chair. I didn't pull back. Once I sat down, I pulled my legs up from the floor and brought my knees to my chest, with my head between my knees. I sobbed for what seemed like hours. I didn't talk to anyone. I didn't move. I just stayed in the same spot, trying to block out the world. Let me die. Please, I just want to die.

If I died, I could see Peeta. We could live happy together. But I know I can't die. Not now. Because I have two kids at home, dying to get an update on Peeta. If I died, my kids will be parentless. No father, no mother. Like me, when my father died. Prim and I had our mother, but she wouldn't do anything. It was like she wasn't even there.

I want to move. I want to talk. I want to see my children. But I can't. Because my husband, the love of my life, the boy with the bread, the bakers boy, the one who loves me, is gone. For good.

Authors Note: Hello! I'm so sorry this was a short chapter. I hope you enjoyed it (besides Peeta dying, of course - sorry about that by the way)! But don't worry, it'll get better, and happier, than these sad chapters I'm writing. Sorry again!