Oh, Baby. // [part two]

Prompt: From tumblr, courtesy of the lovely @evyiione -

When the noble Original gave his word, he never broke the promises he made.

But when he gave his heart, he never thought she would be the one to break it.

[part two]

"How could you leave me after the night we spent together?" Elijah's voice was barely a whisper, the anger mixing with sorrow inside his chest to form the perfect storm of heartbreak

night we spent together?" Elijah's voice was barely a whisper, the anger mixing with sorrow inside his chest to form the perfect storm of heartbreak.

Y/N had no words for him, no answers to his desperate question that would satisfy him, so she said nothing. She turned her body away from him in one last attempt to stay strong.

"Do you know how devastated I was when you left?" His eyes were filled with tears that he would not permit himself to shed.

But when she reminded herself of the way things played out the day she left, the flames in her heart roared angrily back to life.

"It's not like you were devastated alone," she countered, spinning around to face him.

"What is that supposed to mean?" He was trying his best to keep calm, knowing his daughter was likely asleep upstairs, but his emotions were getting the best of him.

She straightened her spine, as she prepared herself to tell him everything.

"When you left for work the next morning, you forgot your wallet on my nightstand. I brought it by your apartment on my way to work, and Hayley answered the door."

He stared at her, unblinking, as he processed her words.

"And..?"

"And? And?! Why was your ex at your place, mere hours after we made love for the first time?"

"I don't know! It was more than four years ago, Y/N! But I can assure you it was nothing nefarious. You were the only woman who has ever meant anything to me, and I would have never thrown away a chance with you for that tawdry woman."

"Hayley told me that you two were back on. She said you were in the shower and that she was getting ready to join you, Elijah! What was I supposed to think?"

His mouth dropped in shock, before a look of realization crossed his face.

"Her shower had broken. She asked if she could use mine since she lived just across the hall. I never thought.." his eyes were filled with regret.

He took a moment, swallowing hard, before he shook his head, his jaw tightening again.

"But you could have just asked me! Did I not deserve that?"

She allowed her heart to soften just a little, and all the hurt and pain she had been suppressing for more than four years rose to the surface, tearing her apart from the inside.