"As you know, I'm an Edevic Elite. I have been genetically altered through the use of the bio-element called edevium."

Rayan shifted at the emptiness in the blues. I never liked these conversations. "Okay? So? What does that have to do with me?"

"Well, when I conceived you, I passed along half of my genetic material—"

"Whoa!" Rayan slammed his hands over his ears and stuck out his tongue. "I didn't think we were segwaying into this talk! I swear, Mom, I'm not up to anything! I know how that works!"

Mom giggled. "No. I don't mean that talk." Rayan scowled when she leaned closer to him with a devious grin. "Though don't think I haven't noticed how much time you spend with James. I'm glad you're making friends."

"It's not like that!"

Her smile softened as she left his space and stared into the flames, where it sent embers across the ice. "What I mean is that since you have half of my genetic material, I've come to realise it also passed down the edevic strands which have engineered themselves into my DNA." Her hand rested on his shoulder. "You're so much stronger than most, Rayan. I don't want you to get into trouble because you could hurt others and yourself."

"Are you saying I'm..." Air escaped his lungs as he shuffled against the arm of the loveseat. "That doesn't make sense. I can't do half of the things you're capable of, Mom! I'm—Is that even possible?"

"For a time, I wasn't sure," Mom admitted. "You're nowhere near the power of a true Elite, so please, don't let what I've told you shake you."

"But I'd still be half of an Elite!" He gasped and leaped to his feet, causing Mom to follow. "James stopped me, but if I had tunnelled on the fact that Meryn needed help I might have—" His words failed him when Mom frowned down at him. "I could've hurt him?"

"James stopped you?"

Rayan nodded.

Mom released him. "Well, you have to consider a few things. One, if you were aware that it was James at the time, you could conceivably hold yourself back. On the other hand, Garrett told me James has the backline position in the Starcross team. James knew what to do when faced with what could've been a stronger opponent." Her hand rested on his back. "Rayan, after your education, I'll put you through basic Elite training for you to control the things that you are capable of."

"But—"

"Only basic training," she said with a firm tone. "Afterwards, what you want to do is up to you. If you don't mind hearing my opinion on the matter, I think you should go forward with your artwork." One quick tap on his shoulder, she nudged him out of her way. "Go on. I'll get dinner ready. We'll eat together tonight."

Rayan shambled into the basement with the weight of the truth on his shoulders. Inertia slammed to his chest when he clung onto the railing. Except... I can't do the things Mom does. I know she can phaserush without a military phaser. I've seen her lift giant metal containers without effort — and she can read people's body language with near pinpoint accuracy. Rayan slid into the art dome and down the wall, beneath the picture panel. And... I can do a semblance of all of that?

He rushed through space and time to reach Meryn, carried through the aetherium coils. He held his stomach when it tightened.

Maybe the difference isn't obvious, but it's enough.

He took one of his sketches off the worktable and shifted through the drawers for brushes and pens. In one of the corners of the pods, James' birthday present, safe from his mess. He had many projects to work on, but another took center stage and intended to finish before James and Ava's birthday; her wolven mark.