After Ian left Katy sat down. Her thoughts returned to what he had just said.  ‘College,’ just the very words made her more depressed. When her dad was alive all they ever talked about was what college she would go to. It always seemed so easy then now she was no where close to entering one. The main reason was that the money just wasn’t there. She thought about her father. A tear trailed down her cheek followed by several others. “Why did you leave Dad why did you have to be in that crash?”  Her mind screamed. She shuddered and the tears flowed freely.

She awoke the next morning feeling like a piece of garbage. The morning was beautiful to beautiful to wake up to. She scrambled out of bed and made her way to the bathroom. When she looked in the mirror she sighed. Her eyes were puffy and swollen and her face was pale. “Just great,” She thought. “At least it was Sunday,” She thought. She brushed her teeth and had a bath. It was only when she was combing her hair that she remembered about her job. Yes her job at the Burger plaza. She was going to be a waitress. She had acquired it so that they could buy groceries and secretly she hoped to save some of her pay for college.  She was probably the only student who was starting her summer job the day after school closed. She sighed. Her day was quiet to say the least. She avoided her mother who seemed to have sobered up and remained in her room. At half past six she heard the front door slam and knew that her mother had left for the bar. She lay in bed and the tears began.

She awake to the alarm the next morning and got ready for school. The day drifted by. The presentation for Chemistry class was great. The class loved it. It was probably the only interesting thing she experienced the entire day. When bell rang Ian came running and almost collided with her. “Hey Kat are you ready for a hot summer?” He asked baring his perfectly white teeth. She smiled. “Um I guess,” She replied. Her mind flew to her job. “I’ll be having a great time in the burger plaza,” She thought. “So um are you going to the summer dance?” He asked pulling her from her thoughts. “Well I…,” She stopped instantly when Cecelia Grace, Miss popular came up to them. “Hey Ian,” She said. “Hi Cecelia,” He replied. She looked him and then at me and wrinkled her nose. “So are you going to the dance?” She asked. “I guess,” He replied. She smiled and continued, “Well I was hoping that we could go together.” She said. He looked taken aback. He looked at me a moment and then responded,” I guess.” “Great,” She exclaimed and immersed him in a hug. He stood stiffly as she released him and then smiled weakly as she backed away. “I’ll be seeing you,” She said and then she was gone.

                “What just happened?” Ian asked.  Katy smiled weakly and shook her head. “Well I have to go, “She said.  He nodded and she walked out. She walked out the entrance, out the car park and straight on to her home unaware of the world around her. When she got home she walked in to find her mother sleeping on the couch. She tiptoed pass and was about to go up the stars when she spoke. “I heard some kids talking about a dance,” She said. Katy stopped and turned. “I don’t think you should go,” She continued. Katy stood rigid. “Why?” She asked. “Because witch, no ones’ going you go with you, I mean look at yourself do you want to embarrass me?” She cried. Katy stared at her mother shocked at the words that had just left her mouth. She stared at her mother’s red rimmed eyes at the spirit that possessed her mother. “I guess not,” She replied and then trooped up the stairs as the tears burst forth.             

                She slept through the evening without dinner. It was quite early when she awoke. She got up and showered, brushed her teeth and got dressed in the pantsuit that all the burger plaza waitresses wore. She left early and began her summer life as a waitress. The week flew by and before she knew it was Friday. She was working double shifts that day when Ian entered. She felt like melting into the ground. She had not told him she would be working there. Before she could worry about telling him Cecelia entered behind him. She stared shocked for a moment until they approached the counter. “Kat is that you?” Ian’s voice cried. I smiled at him. He continued to stare as Cecilia came and leaned on his arm. “She wrinkled her nose and spoke, “What’re you ordering babe?” Ian stood rigid then came to his senses. “I’ll have a beef burger with a side of fries and a diet coke,” She said. Ian nodded and then spoke, “I’ll have the same.” They got their order and then Ian stared for a moment before Cecelia pulled him away.