Chapter 3

*** Four Days Later ***

Ava was sitting on the bar stool at the kitchen counter of the apartment. It was 6 a.m on the day of Connor's return to Chicago. She felt as if she needed to tell Sophia what was going to be happening today but she didn't even know how to wrap her own head around it, let alone explain it to an 18 month old. She decided to not say anything and see if Soph would recognize her father anyway. There were still pictures of him scattered around the house and Sophia had one beside her crib in a pink, heart shaped frame. Across the bottom were the words "Daddy's little Princess". Would she even know someone from a photograph? Ava kind of hoped she would maybe hear his voice and look around for him or maybe his smell would remind her. If newborn babies can do it, Soph could too.

 Will had offered to pick him up from the airport and drop him off at the hotel. Nat had decided to tag along and feed intel to Ava. They had grown a lot closer since both Connor and Clare had left. Owen and Sophia had also started playing together too, now that Soph was big enough. It wasn't uncommon for Ava to watch Owen when both Will and Nat were working and vice versa. 

Connor's flight was due in at 6.30 a.m and Ava couldn't sit still. Sophia suddenly toddled out of her room with her doll in her arms. She still had her pajamas on and her hair was sticking out everywhere. She stopped just before the kitchen yawned and rubbed her eyes. She scratched her cheek and then continued walking over to Ava, reaching out for a snugglywoo. Ava scooped her up off the floor and cradled her in her arms. She brushed her hair back off her face and then kissed the top of her head. 

A: Good morning my girl.

S: Morning mama.

After a few minutes of cuddling with her mama she squirmed her way out of Ava's arms and ran over to her toy box on the rug by the TV. Ava watched her for a second and then stood up and walked into the kitchen to make some breakfast. She was going to give Soph a handful of blueberries, a couple plain rice crackers and some sliced banana as well as a sippy cup of milk. As she was getting the food ready she flicked on the coffee maker and got an apple out the fridge for later. Suddenly her phone buzzed on the bench. It was Nat. 

N: Just got to the airport. The flight is scheduled to land on time.

A: Okay, thanks Nat. God I'm nervous.

N: Why you nervous? He should be the one who's shitting it. 

A: Oh I bet he is. I bloody hope he is.

N: Well even I am so he MUST be.

Ava put her phone back down on the bench and called Sophia over to eat. She lifted her up into her chair and placed the plate down in front of her. She immediately went for the fruit. Ava giggled as she watched her daughter devour blueberry after blueberry. She was still lovingly staring at Soph when her phone started vibrating non-stop. She got up and looked at the screen. 8 unread texts from Natalie. 

N: Ava I am not sure how to tell you this but you said to keep you in the loop so here goes...

CONNOR GOT OFF THE PLANE WITH A WOMAN
AND NOT JUST ANY WOMAN

AN OLDER WOMAN
LIKE AT LEAST 59, 60
WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. HECK.
IS HE FOR REAL?

DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS?

A: No. What are you thinking?

N: You really wanna know where my mind went?

A: Yes. Just say it.

N: She looks like the 'sugar mama' kind.

A: Oh Nat, I really don't think Connor's the type. Then again I didn't think he was the 'pack up and leave' type. So what do I know?

N: Oh Ava, I'm sorry.

A: No! Not your fault! Never your fault!

N: Lets just wait and see. You are right. Lets not jump to ridiculous conclusions.
Ooop here they come. 

I'll text you again once we have dropped him off. Don't want him getting suspicious. 

A: Okay babe, talk soon x

Ava's mind was racing. She knew that his return to the city was not gonna be easy but he had barely been on Chicago soil 5 minutes and was already causing drama. Connor Rhodes had a way of doing that. Sophia had finished eating, everything on the plate was gone, although most of it was spread across her face. Ava grabbed a wipe from the bag on the bench and wiped it off. Sophia was already wanting to go out and play and it was a nice day outside, perfect weather for the park. Maybe that was what she could do to keep her mind off Connor.

***

2 Hours Later, Ava and Sophia were down at the small neighborhood park. Ava had a cup of coffee and was sitting on the bench watching Sophia play with the other small kids. Her phone buzzed again. It was Natalie.

N: So it turns out we had the wrong end of a VERY long stick.

A: Yikes. Now, what on earth does that mean?

N: I think you should REALLY let him explain it. And I do not say that lightly Ava. Its not a text conversation. i don't even know how to say it. 

A: Okay, now I'm scared.

N: No! Don't be. Its good. ABSOLUTELY INSANE but good. 

A: Riiiighto. 

N: I am gonna send you his number okay? He asked for yours too but I said no. It has to be your choice to talk to him. 

A: Alright thank you. 

N: Anytime sister x

  +1-202-555-0196  

Ava stared at the phone number on the screen for about 5 minutes before clicking 'send message' She didn't know what to write. After careful consideration, she decided to go simply with "Hello Connor".