Children are just smaller humans

I don't know what im doing :)

The city of New York was well known for it's hustle and bustle. Nothing stopped for anyone, and even the layer of night failed to postpone the constant movement.

Narisa has always despised that particular aspect of her home city. Usually it was because the insistent noise that kept her up, but tonight was different. She hated the liveliness of the city because tonight would mark the first time she went against those above her.

All throughout her life, she would be the teachers pet, or the suck up. Today marked the change in tide.
When her daughter first started showing strange and unique signs,
she had panicked. Everything spiraled downwards after Narisa was hit with the suddenly realization that her youngest daughter was not any ordinary human.

Society would never take lightly to her daughter being special like this. No, suggesting the opposite was wishful thinking at its finest.

Narisa firmly griped the hand of her daughter who had quit complaining long ago. She sharply turned another corner. The alleyways were starting to blend together, it was hard to tell which way to go and how to differentiate one path from another.

The determined women pulled along the pink haired girl who's wide eyes bore holes into the side of Narisa's head.

Eventually the child pipped up again. "Momma, where are we goin'?"
The woman hesitated slightly, before falling back into pace with her speed walk. "Somewhere safe, now hush-"

The girl ignored the demand from her mother, defiance painted on her facial features. "Well ain't our home safe momma? Is this because I can move around super fast?"

"Well...it's not safe anymore, and that's enough outta you!", Narisa jerked her daughters hand just to reinforce her point. The girl closed her open mouth, her lips pressed into a straight line.

Eventually the duo arrived to their destination. A dead end of an alleyway, with an abandoned coffee shop that sat at the far end. A single street light shone from above, and occasionally flickered.

A man stepped out from the cover of the darkness, his green hair tussled from the wind. He gave no greeting.

The silence between the two was shattered like glass, Seraphina had spoken first. "W-who is this old man momma?"

Narisa used her free hand to lightly pat the cheek of her daughter. The girl pouted in return. "Don't be rude Seraphina, this man will be taking care of you for...a while"

The girl, Seraphina, lit up at this comment. "Oh? When are we goin' momma?"
Narisa recoiled at this comment, unable to find the strength in her to put her daughter down. Instead, she backed away slowly.

"Momma...?"

The man stepped forth, clasping Seraphina's hand.

"Momma...c-come back"

Narisa retreated into the darkness until the hem of her dress was the last thing Seraphina saw of her. The little girl screamed and fought against the hand that restrained her.

"Momma?! MOMMA!! Momma come back! Im sorry if I did somethin wrong Im sorry momma. I'll be a betta daughta, jus' please don't leave me..."

The girl's resolve slowly crumbled away as the crushing realization that her mom wouldn't come back settled in. She went slack, and fell against the man who was yet to utter even a single word until now.

"Hello Seraphina, your mom has told me so many wonderful things about you. I'm sorry she had to go like that, but im sure she'll visit. She is required to."

The girl looked up at him, her eyes large and filled to the brim with hope. "R-really?", She sniffled, "How do you know my momma? Where are we going? Who are you? Why are you taking me away? What did I do wrong?"

A little overwhelmed by the sudden bombardment of questions, the man allowed a long stretch of silence to pass through. Ultimately, he did answer, "You did nothing wrong little Seraphina, your mom just wants you somewhere safe. She contacted me and we both arranged a plan of sorts. You'll have a big room back at my home and your mom will bring your belongings later. She's just a little... busy right now. My name is Dr. Vaughn, but calling me Doctor is fine."

The girl looked up at Vaughn with hopeful eyes. "Ya mean it? Momma is gonna come and see me?"

"Of course."

"..pinky promise?"

The man stared at the girl, taken aback by the obscure request. He eventually went down on a knee, to make eye contact with Seraphina, "A-alright."

Seraphina lifted her free hand and folded in the fingers, leaving her pinky sticking out. In return, Vaughn hooked his own pinky around Seraphina's, completing the gesture.

Unhooking his finger and standing back up, he guided Seraphina into the abandoned coffee shop.

...

Okay, Seraphina has a southern accent. I have no idea why I did this. This whole story is just a mess I'm writing purely because I'm bored. Criticism is still welcomed I guess.