chapter 8

Derrick P.O.V

"so are you gonna tell me what that was or are you going to keep me guessing?" she said with a poker face, almost emotionless

"Are you gonna let me talk this time?" I asked

She rolled her eyes than nodded and I took that as my cue. Before I had any chance to explain a black BMW I8 pulled up. Ive never seen this car before and was pretty curious to see who was behind the wheel. The car stopped and after a minute so did the engine. The door opened to reveal a blonde about 6'1 dressed in a gray suit with black shades. He looked around 20-21 no younger than that.

"Erin? " Joyce said beside me. She didn't take her eyes off him which made me want to know who this douche was even more. She got up dusting off her shorts that shaped her butt so perfectly. But before she could take a step I grabbed onto her hand, holding her beside me. I knew she could tell I didn't want her taking another step until I knew who this guy was. She smiled at me rubbing her thumb along the in-between of my thumb and index finger, calming me down. He seemed to have known exactly who she was by the smirk on his face.

"Joyce waters" he took off his glasses placing them in the pocket of his jacket. "So its true, your back" he looked her up and down causing me to growl.  "whoa there tiger" he chuckled

I looked to Joyce for answers, "This is erin, Sarah's cousin and um my ex..." she said the last part lower than the first. "Erin this is Derrick". She looked down as she said my name, like if she was embarrassed or ashamed to be seen with me.

"Sarah's Derrick?" he asked, I could tell he already knew who I was.

"No" I blurted out, catching him off guard as that smirk went away causing me to have one of my own. "You seem surprised, Erin is it?" I smirked as he nodded. "Sarah didn't tell me you two called off the wedding" he crossed his arms looking at me than Joyce than right there he figured it out. He looked at both of us than smiled. "Ah so my precious little Joyce found her mate did she?" he spoke bitterly yet still smiling trying to keep his composure.

"What do you want?" I asked taking a step forward letting go of Joyce's hand.

"Just checking up on Joyce, seeing if everything was alright" he took a step forward causing me to take one as well putting Joyce behind me. He was about to open his mouth than stopped. "She's fine, Were fine" I spat.

"Derrick!" she yelled grabbing onto my arm, I turned to look at her face which was now red with embarrassment and anger.

"I think she can answer for herself" he said through clenched teeth, trying to keep his cool but I knew he was anything but calm. I was actually starting to get under his skin, the alpha in me liked this. My wolf was a cocky little shit, always have been and with the title of being alpha being on top was all I knew and never have I once backed down or let anyone talk down to me, well until my stubborn little mate. Man was she a little handful but she wasn't nothing i couldn't handle, I think...

I put all my attention to her, turning my body to face her. She was so beautiful and as much as I wanted to grab her and kiss her all over her beautifully tanned skin I knew we still had a lot to talk about."Joyce baby lets go, we have a lot to talk about. Ill take you home and well come back for the truck in the morning" I grabbed onto her hand waiting for her to walk with me but she didn't, she stood firmly in place. She took her hand from mine and looked to erin.

"No, I'm gonna stay here. Im not leaving the truck," she looked down than at Erin "Besides Erin probably just got here and would like to get settled and since Sarah's not in shape for company today maybe you'd like to stay in my parents guest room? They'd be happy to see you" she spoke her voice so soft and gentle, but I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Did she just refuse to leave with me to stay with him? Her ex, than freakin offer him to stay with her right in front of my face? My heart dropped a little but I kept my composure.

"Fine!" I spat "By all means take care of her, you two will probably have a real good time catching up with each other in the same house" I said immediately regretting my words seeing pain and hurt flashed across her face. Her eyes started watering and as much as I wanted to pull her to me, to hold her and tell her how stupid I was for saying that my legs took control and started walking to my car. I didn't stick around to see the rest of their little reunion as much as it hurt to walk away, it hurt even more that she let me.

Ive done nothing but chase after her and try to show her how committed I was to being with her. She was my mate, she was mine from the moment I found her. How could she be so naive, I slammed my car door speeding off to god knows where. Was this my cue to stop? to stop hurting her, which is what it seemed like all I did. Maybe she was better off without me...