⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren cocked an eyebrow at him. "She was unique enough that you remembered her name."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"It's on the back of the paper, darling."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren didn't have to check to know he was telling the truth. Blushing, she murmured, "Oh."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus laughed. It was a throaty tone.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren watched him with a growing smile. "It's not funny." She sat down next to him, slapping him on the chest. "Hush."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀His laugh devolved into a couple chuckles here and there, but it was enough to make Wren giggle to herself. The sound, reminiscent of tinkling bells, made Klaus' laugh stop in an instant. He watched her in fascination, trying to memorize the way her eyes sparkled.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren lay her head back against the couch, trying to forget about her embarrassment.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You're beautiful," Klaus suddenly said.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren popped an eye open, looking at him over her cheeks. "You're tipsy." She closed her eyes again. "Thank you."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Sighing after a couple seconds, she popped them back open.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I guess I should get ready for that meeting, shouldn't I?" She stood from the couch, brushing off her hoodie. "By the way," she said as she was heading out the door, "you were hot in the twenties."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren entered the church beside her mate, bringing the sleeves of her grey sweater up to her elbows. Her heeled boots clicked against the floor as she made her way toward the attic, following quickly behind her mate as he took the lead.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Plus, there's excellent light in the afternoon," Klaus said as he walked through a doorway. His eyes quickly surveyed the room. "I see you're an artist." He walked toward her. "I look forward to witnessing your many talents."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren walked in the room, eyeing the girl curiously.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Was this his idea?" the girl, Davina, spat to Marcel.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Davina, please. I understand you're devoted to Marcel, but Marcel is devoted to me. I assume you want what's best for all of us." After giving her one last smirk, Klaus began to leave the room. "We have a meeting to attend downstairs. Make your introductions, and then join me."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren walked forward, plastering on a smile. "Hi, you must be Davina." She offered her hand. "I'm Wren."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You're his girlfriend?" Davina took her hand, but the look of distaste stayed on her face.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Something like that."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀After exchanging a few more words, Wren and Marcel headed downstairs where Klaus was waiting along with a handful of men.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Marcel, Wren, Klaus," the priest, Kieran, said. "Thank you for coming. Now, we are aware of the change in leadership in your community, and thought it was time to make the proper introductions."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren smiled at Kieran, offering him a hand. "I hear you had a hand in saving my life when Agnes tried to snuff it out. Thank you, Father Kieran. You have my deepest gratitude."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He gave her an uneasy smile as his companions stood.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"We want to make sure you understand the way things work around here," a dark-skinned man said as he stood. He was wearing a black suit was a baby-blue shirt underneath. His eyes glared at Klaus as he walked forward.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus laughed. "Is that so?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What the Mayor means is that we just want some assurance that this new development isn't going to endanger our city or its inhabitants." Kieran appeared to be attempting to amend every pass the two groups made at each other.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You... freaks do your thing and uh - we'll look the other way. As long as our pockets stay full we shouldn't have a problem." The Chief of Police stood straight with his hands in his pockets, an easygoing nature about him. Arrogance rolled off of him in waves as he lay eyes on a man who would normally have people trembling in fear.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"More importantly, there are rules. No feeding on the locals, don't bring any unwanted attention to the city. History has proven that we can coexist peacefully. However, if you cross the line -" Kieran looked frustrated, but was trying to keep his expression neutral.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You answer to us," the Chief cut in again.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Sorry," Wren raised a hand, furrowing her eyebrows. "You just can't seem to wait your turn, can you?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Let me get this straight," Klaus started as he saw the man open his mouth to respond, "I'm to play supplicant to this pompous ass and his ridiculous group of petty thieves?" Sighing as everyone stood in silence, he shook his head. "Here are my terms; you will take whatever scraps I see fit to leave you and you will be grateful. If that doesn't suit you, I may decide you've outlived your usefulness." Casting the man a glare, Klaus turned and walked out of the church.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren stood there for a second, exchanged a look with Kieran. "We'll talk later," she offered quietly. Turning, she followed her mate with Marcel at her heels.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The bar Marcel and Klaus chose was a popular place for vampires, it seemed, because everywhere Wren looked there was a human with their veins open. Swallowing, she played with her hands as she watched Klaus retrieve a bottle of bourbon from behind the counter.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"A little out of your element, aren't you?" Marcel asked, eyeing her uncomfortable demeanor.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren turned to him, arching an eyebrow. "What is that supposed to mean?" she asked, sitting a bit straighter.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You're used to people bowing to your every word back at your coven - here, respect isn't given because of birthright. Respect is earned. You can't just walk in here and expect it to be handed to you on a silver platter like it was when you were a kid."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren clenched her jaw. "You know nothing about me, or my upbringing." She grabbed her drink out of Klaus' hand as he returned. "Don't think for a second that I don't know what it takes to earn the respect of a community." She turned to Klaus. "Speaking of which - what are we going to do about The Faction? We left them hanging back at St. Anne's."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus opened his mouth to respond, only to have his phone ring in his pocket. Rolling his eyes, he pulled it out and stood to answer it. "Hello?" he said into the receiver.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Mr. Mikaelson - we just wanted to let you know that The Faction has considered your terms. We've reached a decision."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Have you?" Klaus' eyes darted toward the windows. He could hear the tires squealing outside.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Before Wren had time to ask him what was wrong, the windows shattered and bullets sprayed the bar.