Write What You Know?

I hate this advice so much. And I hate it even more when people use it in response to "please put some diversity in your books".

As a writer, in my opinion, the best feeling is when you're so into your story that you're spending hours doing research

Every writer probably has vast knowledge about this random topic because they had to research it for their story. And it probably came to the point that they over researched and half the stuff they learned, they didn't actually use in their story.

So why does when someone say something like "hey, can you not write a story that's set in America for once?"

Someone's like "but the research 😫"

Like isn't that the point of being a writer

Like isn't that the point of being a writer. You have to research a lot, like that is a part of the writing process.

I get that it's easier to set your story in America and make all your characters white. But how do you expect to grow if you don't challenge yourself? And you do the same shit everyone else is doing?

Like do you think it's easy for me, as a black person, to write a black person? I have to do research on stereotypes and how to describe skin color and how to describe our hair.

But I do it anyway because it's different and I like seeing myself being represented. I like seeing other people being represented. That's why I write other poc and lgbtq+ characters.

• • •

I want to tell a story:

When I was in Jamaica as a little child. Every piece of media being pushed in our faces contained white people. So when it was play time and we would draw. All of us, including me, would draw white characters. Not one black child thought of drawing a black person, not one.

And me, trying to be different, decided that I wanted to draw myself. But then I gave up because I couldn't draw my own hair. I didn't know how to draw curls or plaits or cornrows. The hair that majority of the kids at school wore. So I continued drawing white characters.

The most disgusting thing about this whole situation is that none of the teachers saw this as a problem...

• • •

Okay, back to the topic.

The point is, I don't think it's easy for poc to write poc. It might be easier but it's not easy. Even if they are writing about their own ethnicity, they still have to watch themselves for stereotypes. (Or maybe I'm the only poc with this problem)

It's not easy and you will probably mess up. And if you do and someone points it out. Don't just say, "people get offended over everything." Apologise and try to fix it.

It is possible that you did nothing wrong but if multiple people are saying it then you probably did.

Writing out of your comfort zone is risky and not easy but I don't think people should avoid it all together just for those reasons.

• • •

Anyways, check out: writingwithcolor.tumblr.com for tips on writing poc characters.

You're welcome.

• • •

And for anyone saying that they only write what they know...

If you write science fiction or fantasy and say that you only write what you know... that's bullshit.

If you're writing about the future with advanced technology, you are not writing what you know.

If your story takes place in space, with aliens, you are not writing what you know.

If you're writing a story set in the 1800s, you are not writing what you know. (Unless you're some immortal being)

If your story has vampires, werewolves, magic, you are not writing what you know.

I can guarantee no one today has ever experienced any of these things. So again anyone that says that they only write what they know (when they write scifi/fantasy) in their defence for only writing white characters, is again spewing bullshit.

And before anyone says this: no one is forcing you. If you don't want to write a diverse cast, then don't. And when people are discussing this issue don't butt in saying "I only write what I know" or "Its too risky". Literally, no one cares and you're not adding anything to the conversation. Just say you don't want to do it and go.

Plus forcing diversity is never the best way to go.

• • •

So my advice, step out of your comfort zone. Try something new. Stop being so fucking scared of writing something different.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.