seventeen

seventeenand the snakes start to sing

seventeen
and the snakes start to sing

The day came around far too quickly

Anna had woken up that morning with a pit in her stomach. The night before, Tommy had gone over in great detail what she would have to do. His words were tumbling around her head, getting muddled but always with the same ending 'and then you shoot'. There was so much that could go wrong but this was a right of passage not only to the blinders but to herself as well.

"How are you feeling?" She looked up from her makeup table to see Tommy stood in the doorway.

"Good." She nodded.

"There's still time to pass the job onto someone else."

"No Tommy, I need to do this."

"I understand." Tommy walked over to her, kneeling down in front of where she was sat. "But if you at any point change your mind, you get out of there. The blinders that will be outside are more than willing to take him instead." Anna closed her eyes as he spoke, not being able to look into his eyes. She wanted nothing more than to make her cousin proud, to prove she could be trusted in all aspects of the business.

"I know Tom." She whispered. He stood, taking a deep breath.

"Good luck."

"You too." They shared a look which said way more than either of them ever would. It said 'I need you alive and I don't want you to risk this.' Without saying another word, Tommy left Anna alone in her room once again.

***

Hours had passed and Anna didn't know what was going on with any of the other blinders. She sat in Tommy's office, checking every five minutes that her gun was still loaded and her backup knife was still in her boot. Her heart and head pounded in unison as she waited for two ex soldiers to pick her up and deliver her to where Charlie was being held.

Once she had seen headlights fill the driveway, she stood from her seat, straightening her dress and coat, checking one last time for the bullets and the knife. When she left the office, she saw all the house staff in the foyer. She was the last person left in the house other than them and so they really had no business left. None of them knew what was happening, they just knew it was big.

"You're all free to go, don't wait up for us."

"Yes Miss." one of the more senior staff spoke for the group. Taking one last look around the house, Anna headed out to kill a man.

"One of us will be stood outside the building, the other just outside the door. If we hear a fight, we will intervene. Tommy's orders." One of the men explained.