three

threeslow dancing in the dark

three
slow dancing in the dark

"Mate you better not ruin this again for me tonight." Isiah warned Michael as they walked towards Polly and Anna's home.

"You know the blinders will kill you." By the blinders, he meant himself.

"I'm not worried about them." He knocked on Anna's door, leaning against the wall next to it. "They'll just be happy she's finally getting fucked by a real man." Michael involuntarily clenched his fists at Isiah's words. Before he got chance to reply, the door opened to reveal the woman in question.

She was wearing a red dress which fell to just below her knees. The black hat, coat and shoes gave her a look of danger, likely a positive thing in this town. Unlike Isiah, Michael kept his observations discreet.

The trio began walking to a pub a few streets away from the Garrison. At first she was confused as to why they hadn't gone there but as soon as they entered the room, Anna realised why. Isiah's attention suddenly went from being all on Anna to being divided up between every single woman in that room. Anna suddenly felt remarkably foolish for thinking Isiah had a genuine liking for her.

Michael noticed Anna's expression changing, placing his hand on her elbow and leading her to the bar. "Three pints of dark mild." Michael called to the barman.

"Fuck that, we're blinders. Three whiskies." Isiah insisted, finally pulling his attention back to the two he had come with. The three hadn't even got their drinks before trouble started rising.

"I don't drink with blacks." A voice came from behind them.

"Here we go." Anna felt bad that this was something Isiah had to go through regularly.

She stood back as both Isiah and Michael began to fight with the two men who had confronted them. She observed a fair amount of people glancing at her and whispering. She didn't know why until the barman returned to them, looking terrified.

"The girl is Polly Shelby's daughter." He yelled, a blend of anger and fear in his voice. "Are you fucking suicidal?" All eyes were now on her.

"Get the fuck out." Michael yelled.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know." The apology was aimed more towards her. She felt it was her role to break the silence that had now washed over the bar.

"I believe we ordered some drinks."

*

Laughter was a rare thing to hear in Small Heath, which explains why Anna, Michael and Isiah received so many looks as they walked down the lane to the Garrison, arms linked and laughing over the situation they had just been in.

The three were met with respectful nods as they entered the pub. Anna was quickly realising the power her name had in these parts. Walking into the back room while the others went to the bar, Anna saw Arthur, Finn and John sat around drinking whisky and playing cards.