Chapter 6

Bilbo protested, but Fili and Kili grabbed Bilbo and picked him up by his clothes and put him on a pony named Myrtle. He looked so uncomfortable and it made Dienna giglle. She rode up to him and Gandalf, "Loosen up a bit! It's fun," she laughed. Bilbo gave her a very awkward smile. She laughed as Oin spoke.

"Come on Nori! Pay up!" Oin yelled at the dwarf, who threw a coin purse at him. There was a cross fire of coin purses flying, Dienna saw Fili hand Kili his coins.

"What's that about?" Bilbo asked on behalf of both the hobbits.

"Oh, they took wages, to see whether or not you'd turn up. Most of them bet that you wouldn't," Gandalf said and he saw Dienna's ears start to turn red in anger, "Now Dienna, it wasn't malicious."

"But-" she began, but Bilbo cut her off with a look.

"What did you think?" Bilbo asked the wizard.

Dienna saw Thorin from the front pick out his coin purse and throw it to the wizard, who caught it. "My dear fellow, I never doubted you for a second."

"It seems our leader did," she kicked her pony lightly to go faster, right up to Thorin. He didn't pay her any attention, so she smacked him on the back of his head. Thorin grabbed his head and turned around to face the hobbit, a shocked expression on his face.

"What in Durin's name was that for?" his tone was a mix of amusement and anger.

"What was it for?" she scoffed, "You bet against my brother! Were you hoping to have a hobbit on this journey? Because you're doing a great job at losing them," she scolded the king, who had a light smirk on his face, "And wipe that gr-"

"Wait! Stop! We have to turn around," Bilbo's shout could be heard from behind her.

"What on earth is the matter?" Gandalf asked.

"I forgot my handkerchief," Bilbo looked around his packs. Dienna got a condescending look and she put her head in her hands.

"Here, use this!" Bofur said as he ripped off a piece of his jacket and threw it back to Bilbo. The dwarves laughed.

"Move on!" Thorin said and turned to Dienna, "Sometimes there are people who don't belong on quests. Your brother is one of them."

Dienna scoffed again, "Maybe it's you who doesn't belong," she galloped to the back of the group. Gandalf turned his horse to the other hobbit.

"Dienna? What is the matter? You were in such a better mood yesterday," he asked her.

"Oh, it's nothing," Gandalf gave her an all-knowing look, "Fine, it's Thorin. He doesn't believe in my brother. He doesn't believe in me, and I don't know what's worse. I just want Bilbo to see that he is accepted, by you, by Oin, by Kili, by Bofur, by me. I want him to know that he will be a valuable asset," Dienna felt herself tear up, "I'm sorry," Bilbo turned around from a few feet in front with a worried look, she waved him off.

"They will see in time. Now go to your brother, you'll feel better," Dienna gave Gandalf a sad smile and rode up to him.

"Are you okay, Dienna?" Bilbo asked, concerned.

"Yes, well, no, I don't like how you have been treated," Dienna answered.

"It's okay, Dienna. They always have you, so if I am not needed, I'll just come back to the Shire." He gestured around them.

"Bilbo Baggins, don't you dare leave me. You're part of the company," he gave her a look, "At least to me."

"Fine, we're in this together," Bilbo placed a hand on her's.