Lies, lies and more lies

After everyone had ordered - except Edward and I - we sat and talked. Well more like my mother asked questions and I either answered them or weasled my way out of answering them by deflecting her question onto something else.

After 20 minutes our food finally arrived.

I sat beside my husband and watched our daughter eat. It was so adorable how she held her fork properly while she mixed her potatoes with her corn.

Once it was mixed to her satisfaction she began eating only to pause every few bites to pat her mouth with her napkin which she kept on her lap.

"When did she learn to use such manners?" I mother asked as she watched Renesmee set her fork to the side and take a small sip from her orange juice and then pat her mouth dry.

I smirked. "I didn't teach her the princess gig her aunt Rose did." I defended. "I'm not that classy."

Edward put his arm over my shoulder. "Rose has a thing for proper ettiquetes." He explained. "And Rose also spends quite alot of time with Renesmee as well. She can't have children so having a child around draws her in."

Renee sat up straighter. "Rose seems a bit young to even be thinking about kids, plus she isn't married yet."

Edward shook his head. "My sister Rosalie and her adopted brother are engaged."

I heard my mother gasp but ignored it. It wasn't like the two were blood relatives so there was nothing wrong there.

"They aren't really related mom." I said in defense.

"Rose was" Edward paused to try and find the right words to explain. "brutally attacked in her youth and almost died. In order to save her life she had to undergo some changes and because of those changes she can no longer have children."

I could hear my fathers heart speed pick up a couple beats per minute and knew he remembered the speech that Jacob have told him. I was sick but had to undergo some 'changes' in order to get better.

"That's really aweful, has she ever tried looking for surrogate mothers?" My mother asked.

I looked at Edward and he nodded his head once. "She thought about it but its complicated to find someone she can trust to help her fullfil her dream."

"As well it is an expensive process." My mother added.

"It's not about the money. My sister and her fiance have more then enough to take care of the job but they want to find the perfect person." Edward futhered.

"Okay I think its about time we head on back to the house." My father piped. "I heard a storm is supposed to roll on through soon and I don't want you driving through it."

Edward turned his head so his lips were by my ears. "Your father doesn't want to talk anymore about this subject because he suspects exactly what I know."

"What do you know?" I asked, my lips unmoving.

"Your mother wants to help Rosalie and Emmett." He said.

I quickly stood to my feet, my hands hitting the table a little to hard causing it to shake. "NO!" I gasped.

Every head at the table turned to look at me.

Great, think fast Bella.

"Uh I think I might have left the stove on at home." I lied as I gathered Renesmee into my arms. "Edward." I called. I stopped and turned towards my father. "Come over whenever you can." I told him before we left.

Once we were in the safety of the car I looked at Edward. "If she tries to carry Emmetts child for Rosalie she will die."

"I know Bella, that is why we won't allow it." Edward said as he buckled in Renesmee. He paused momentarily looking at Renesmee. "Sometimes adults need to lie Ness."

Of course, my daughter was too smart to believe that the lies I told my mother were the truth. Every word I basically spoke to her was a lie and I was ashamed. I had never lied to my mother like this before.

I tuned the engine on and soon enough we were on our way back home. To my luck Renesmee didn't freak out like she had on the way to the diner but only because she fell asleep to the cd Edward had made her that consisted of a series of her lullabys.

When I pulled up out front of the house I shut off the car and went around to get Renesmee out of her seat. Just seeing her perfect sleeping face was enough to melt my non-beating heart.

Edward went ahead to open the front door and make a bed for Renesmee downstairs on Emmetts favorite couch. By the time I made it to the living room he already had the blanket in his arms, ready and waiting to place over Renesmee.

After she was tucked in the two of us settled in the love seat across from her.

"Maybe its possible." I blurted out.

Edward looked at me slightly unaware of what I was talking about.

"I mean we can easily pick an egg donor and a sperm donor and my mother can carry the child for her. It will be a normal pregnancy and then afterwards Rosalie and Emmett would have their child." I said simply.

"Bella love, its not that easy. A family of blood lusting vampires taking care of an infant child." He said.

I sighed. "Yeah I guess you are right. It's a crazy idea. I just thought it'd be nice to see Rosalie and Emmett happy."

Similtaneously both my and Edwards phones rang. I answered mine just as he answered his.

"Bella, I thought about it and well I think it'd be nice to help Emmett and Rosalie have a baby." I heard my mothers voice say.

I rose to my feet, a smile on my face. I was happy that Rose and Emmett would get their own personal chance at parenthood.

"Are you sure mom?" I asked.

"Bella I have nothing else to do since the divorce." She blurted out.

I gasped. What, when, how? My mother got divorced.

"Mom, what happened?" I asked, wanting answers.

I heard my mother take in a shaky breath. I knew that breath, she was holding back tears, "After the wedding your father and I were a bit emotional and leaned on one another for comfort. One thing led to the next and Phil walked in on us."

I grabbed at my hair. "Mom, why didn't you go back and fight for him."

There was a long pause. "I guess I just didn't want to Bella. But I'm happy, I get to be with you and my granddaughter and soon enough I will get to help Rosalie and Emmett." She took a deep breath and then I heard sobs. "I haven't been the best mother to you Bella but I'm here now."

I could feel myself shaking. "Mom... I, I need to go Renesmee needs my help." I lied. "I love you." I said before I hung up.

Seconds after my phone call had ended so did Edwards. "That was-"

"Alice." I finished. "Let me guess, she saw my mother carrying a baby or something."

Edward held my gaze silently for several long seconds before he shook his head. "No, she saw your mothers future disappear."

Almost instantly my head turned towards Renesmee. There was only a few things that could make a persons future disappear and they were werewolves and halfmortals. That meant my mother was going to be involved with one of the two.

The only question I had was which one it would be.