Chapter 19: Romeo And Juliet

Start from the beginning

"I guess you're going to have fun not performing." Liv said smugly with a hint of sarcasm, "I think Mr Charlesworth said there needed to be some extra help backstage."

"Why are you rubbing this in? I couldn't care less. If this whole thing is about Ethan and trying to get revenge on me well I'm over it and done with him. You've won Liv, you've won." And with that, I had officially nothing else to say. I walked out leaving the dressing room to Liv so she could get dressed into the beautiful and fancy dress that Tayla and I had both gushed about only a second ago.

When I walked out, funnily enough I ran into Ethan again which was the second time this day who had only just come out of his dressing room. He was already in costume of Romeo wearing shiny, silver coloured night's armour and a fake sword tied to his waist.

"Jamie, what are you doing!? Rehearsals start in a minute or to and we're supposed to be fully dressed in our character costumes!" Ethan informed as a quizzical expression appeared on his face.

"Haven't you heard the news, Liv's back." I said glumly with no particular enthusiasm.

"What?"

"Now that she's back I don't get to play the role of Juliet anymore but I'm sure that will be better for the audience because you share way more charisma with her than you do with me." I rolled my eyes.

"No, that's not true." Ethan tried to convince me.

"Ethan don't you have to start rehearsals now?" I said briskly.

His saddened eyes met mine. I thought he might say something to try and change this situation but he wasn't the same old Ethan that I used to know. The one that I could sit down and have a full on conversation with, share jokes and laugh with till both our stomachs hurt. That Ethan would've tried every possibility there was to try and and least make me crack a smile, but this new version of Ethan didn't say anything at all.

"I-I'll see you tonight at the performance Jamie." Ethan's lips parted as he stuttered on his own words. Ethan never stuttered, well not usually anyway. Why was he acting all nervous around me? I guess I'd never know.

I met Mr Charlesworth who was standing by the edge of stage. "Excuse me sir." I tapped his shoulder. Mr Charlesworth spun around to face me. "Oh hello Jamie, I was meaning to tell you-"

"That Liv's back? I already know." I cut him off.

"Uh yes." He removed his glasses and gave them a quick wipe with the edge of his shirt. "You're not disappointed at all are you?"

"No I'm fine." I used all my human strength to force a smile onto my lips but maybe I was somewhat relieved that I didn't have to perform because this whole day I had been so worked up about all the things that could of gone wrong, and now I had nothing to worry about. The whole point I had agreed to be Liv's understudy was to make her jealous about performing with Ethan, but now there wasn't really any point. Even if deep down I still secretly liked Ethan I know that he would never have feelings for Liv.

"Jamie, you know how I said that when I'm acting it's completely different to actually feeling something like I do with you?"

"Yeah?"

"Well I love you."

I mentally slapped myself after that thought resurfaced itself in my mind. I had to stop thinking about him and about that moment in time that was now long gone.

"Well if you don't mind I could use some help backstage to make sure everyone's organised and ready?" Mr Charelsworth interrupted my thoughts as my vision suddenly returned to meet his. "Yeah I wouldn't mind." I shrugged not sure if I would of had anything else to do tonight, so of course I wasn't going to say no.