Chapter Five

SOME WOMEN - like Perry - looked ghastly while crying.

            In others, it brought only a rosy bloom to already creamy cheeks, and made the limpid pools of their eyes look even bluer. Of course, Miss Radcliffe was one of the latter group.

            Perry sank into the chair opposite the woman, well aware that Garrett was watching from the door, with his arms crossed over his chest.

            Next time, you can handle Miss Radcliffe, he'd snapped. It hadn't been an idle threat.

            "So tell me about the flowers," she suggested. An uneasy sensation made her stomach squirm. She hadn't been handling this case well at all, and Miss Radcliffe wasn't to blame for that. And while she genuinely felt sorry for the blonde actress, Perry knew she wasn't very good at handling grieving people. That was more Garrett's forte than hers. Easy for him to say you could catch more flies with honey, but he had a natural charm she could never hope to mimic.

            Miss Radcliffe's eyes kept flickering between them, as though even she could sense the tension. It was utterly humiliating. 

            "Red roses," Miss Radcliffe sniffled into her delicately patterned handkerchief. Her message had arrived by pneumatic tube that morning, requesting a word with Garrett. "Two dozen of them. They always arrived for Nelly before her big shows." A wave of wetness coursed down her cheeks as she looked up, her eyes betraying a hint of fear. "They arrived for me this morning with a note. I haven't let anyone touch it, but it's the same person who's been sending them to Nelly. Do you think...? Do you think it's the man who took her?"

            Garrett strode toward the flowers in their vase, and examined the note. "'For your upcoming debut as lead. I look forward to it, my dear. You shall be a shining jewel among the masses.'" He flipped it over, but there was nothing on the back.

            "It could simply be an admirer," Perry said awkwardly. Should she reach out and pat the woman's hand? Such a display was uncomfortable but Garrett often touched people. It put them at ease.

            "But they knew I've been offered the lead." Miss Radcliffe suddenly flushed, as though realizing how that sounded. "Just until Nelly's back. Mr. Fotherham said the show must go on. How could someone know that? Only the theatre staff are aware. They don't have time before tonight's show to change the playbill!"

            Perry made a decision. "Even if it is the abductor–" She was loathe to call it a murder, until Nelly turned up in one way or the other, "–both Garrett and I shall be in attendance. Nothing's going to happen to you tonight. And... And Garrett shall see you home safely afterwards." That would help this situation, wouldn't it?

            Garrett had been correct. For whatever reason, Miss Radcliffe's mere presence made Perry uncomfortable in a way she'd rarely experienced before. Was it jealousy? Of what though? Miss Radcliffe's simple ability to be utterly charming, stylish and clearly well-bred?

            She's exactly what you tried to be as a young girl, a voice whispered in her head. And what you failed at.

            Maybe Garrett was right? Maybe her gut reaction did have something to do with jealousy?

            Good God, was she behaving less than professionally here? After accusing him of the same?

            It was an ugly thought.